Canadafix
Canadafix, Canadian Class A
Experience:  Have owned/operated an automotive repair shop for the last 19 years working on all makes and models of vehicles
25077074

97 chevy S10: cyl..my leaking fuel injectors..hood..smog

Customer Question

i have a '97 chevy S10, 2.2 ltr. 4 cyl. I recently replaced my leaking fuel injectors because u could smell the gas from under the hood. I went to smog it & it threw a lean mixture code po171 (bank 1). what causes this problem & how do I fix it ?. I do have a fair amount of tools, a haynes book, & mech. backround. Is this something I can fix myself, or do I need a mech. ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.

Canadafix :

Hello.

Canadafix :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Canadafix :

Lean codes can be tricky to solve at times. It's handy to have a scan tool that can read the output of the sensors in the system. The lean code is generated by the oxygen sensor. The O2 reads the amount of oxygen in the exhaust flow.

Canadafix :

O2 works like a toggle switch. ANy voltage above a half volt is rich, below is lean.

Canadafix :

Over time, the O2 sensor can develop a coating from being in the exhaust flow. This reduces it's effectiveness and send a lean signal, even if the mixture is rich.

Canadafix :

You need to determine if the O2 is bad, or if the mixture is indeed lean.

Canadafix :

If the O2 is original, replace it.

Canadafix :

Lean mixtures can be caused by many things. If the engine idle is OK, the engine runs smooth generally, most likely a bad sensor.

Canadafix :

The sensor is mounted in the exhaust manifold.

Canadafix :

I will switch to Q&A. You can respond to this reply to you there when it is convenient.

Canadafix :

Please ask any questions you may have.

Canadafix :

Thank you,

Canadafix :

Bernie

Canadafix, Canadian Class A
Experience: Have owned/operated an automotive repair shop for the last 19 years working on all makes and models of vehicles
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanx 4 the reply, very helpful. another ?. I replaced the exhauhst manifold 02 sens. 6 to 8 mo's. ago. and the 02 sens. behind the cat 2 mo's. ago. B 4 I replaced the injectors. Could 1 or both sens. B coated or now malfunctioning from runing 2 lean ?.

Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

It would not be usual for it to be coated this soon after.
The code would be caused by the upstream sensor(in the manifold) if it were defective.
I do get the odd aftermarket sensor that does go bad.
Does the engine run OK?

Thank you, Bernie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello- now my ? is may the feul filter/ pump not providing enough presser 2 the feul rail ? I don't know if the 02 sens. controls feul mixture ?.

Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

If the fuel pump is not providing enough pressure, the truck would run very badly and lack power.
This is why I had asked you this earlier to determine this.

The O2 when reading lean actually increases the fuel to make the engine run more rich.

Can you please describe to me how the truck runs?
This will help me to help you.

Thank you,
Bernie
Canadafix, Canadian Class A
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The truck runs ok, idles a little rough-not that bad, no worse than it has B 4 I did any work on it. But now it does have a serge when i accelerate, in otherwords, U press the peddle & it lags or pauses 2 acccelrate. Mass air flow & 02 sens.trying 2 compensate?.

Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hello.
Here is a diagnostic chart that mechanics use to help determine the lean code.
Note that we use a scan tool that looks at the data of all the sensors when the code sets in the vehicle. This information is vital in order to find the issue in most circumstances.
I would honestly like to help you solve your problem.
Go through the chart so you can ask me further questions.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

You do not need to accept every time I answer you.

Thank you,
Bernie
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
This is the second page.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a diag. mach. Only a OBD2 code reader. So I guess I need a mech. 2 solve the problem. THANK U 4 YOUR HELP.
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome.
I hope it all goes well for you.
Thank you very much!

Bernie