Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chevrolet K1500 4x4: I am changing rear axle gear ratio to

I am changing rear axle gear ratio to 3:73, and am going install a Detroit Locker differential. Is the set up or specs any different than setting up factory gear set/differential?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

hi

what gear does it have now?

how about the front?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
3:42 , I think. I haven't taken it appart yet. I have 3:73 for the front. I need to do both. My intention is to get the rear done 1st.

0k

this would be a direct bolt in,,,,and you should have no problems as long as you have the 3;08 and higher carrier,,[that you do have],,,,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So all the specs/torques would be the same? Any special adjustment needed for proper setup?

no...

i have done this a few times,,,,

you intall the pinion bearing..if it has a spacer behind it use it,,if not dont...put it together the same way it comes apart with the 3;43...also,make sure you dont mix up the spacers on the sides of the carrier..keep the right on the right and the left on the left...it should come out correct without any special spacing

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I bought a master rebuild kit. I believe the Detroit Locker requires special carrier bearings. Would u recommend using the original spacers or new ones spec'd to proper preload and backlash?

ok

if you arent going to be using the same carrier,,it will need to be set up....if using the same carrier,,you can just put the gear in and use the same spacers in the same places..and the backlash should be correct.

sense you are using the locker,,you will need to set it up with the spacers that came with the locker and do as it says in the instructions..the locker carrier is likley to be different width than the stock.....thus ,,meaning it will need to be set up..

thanks

1990 Chevy Truck K 1500 Truck 4WD V8-350 5.7L
Differential Assembly Service and Repair, Procedures: Unit Repair, Rear Axle, Semi-Floating Axle 8-1/2 Inch Ring Gear, Repair Instructions, Gear Tooth Pattern Check, General Information
Before final assembly of the differential, a gear tooth contact pattern check should be performed.

A gear tooth contact pattern check is NOT a substitute for adjusting pinion depth and backlash as previously outlined. It is a method to verify the correct running position of the ring gear and the drive pinion. Gear sets which are not positioned properly may be noisy, have a short life, or both. With a pattern check, the best contact between the ring gear and the drive pinion for low noise level and long life can be ensured.

Differential Assembly Service and Repair, Procedures: Unit Repair, Rear Axle, Semi-Floating Axle 8-1/2 Inch Ring Gear, Repair Instructions, Gear Tooth Pattern Check, Gear Tooth Nomenclature
GENERAL INFORMATION
graphic

The side of the ring gear tooth which curves outward, or is convex, is referred to as the "drive" side (4). The concave side is the "coast" side (3). The end of the tooth nearest the center of ring gear is referred to as the "toe" end (2). The end of the tooth farthest away from the center is the "heel" end (1). The toe end of the tooth is smaller than the heel end.

TEST
1. Wipe oil out of axle housing and carefully clean each tooth of the ring gear.
2. Apply gear marking compound sparingly to all ring gear teeth using a medium stiff brush.
3. Use the service brake to apply a load until a torque of 54-68 Nm (40-50 ft. lbs.) is required to turn the pinion.

A test made without loading the gears will not give a satisfactory pattern. Turn the companion flange with a wrench so that the ring gear rotates one full revolution. Then reverse the rotation so that the ring gear rotates one revolution in the opposite direction. Excessive turning of the ring gear is not recommended.
graphic

4. Observe the pattern on the ring gear teeth and compare with the image.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So the axle housing should be left in the vehicle so that after the ring, pinion, and carrier are changed out, the pinion can be turn with a torque of 40-50 lbs applied by the emergency brake?

yes...no need to remove the axle housing

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.