Neal
Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

how do ya change power steering pump with hydroboost on 1987

Customer Question

how do ya change power steering pump with hydroboost on 1987 chevy p-30 step van?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

Here is the procedure, I hope this is what you need.

Before disconnecting lines from power unit, depress and release brake pedal several times to allow pressure to discharge from accumulator.
1. On P30 motor home, raise and support vehicle, if necessary.
2. On all vehicles, remove master cylinder to power brake unit attaching nuts, then position master cylinder aside. Do not disconnect brake lines from master cylinder.
3. Disconnect hydraulic lines from power brake unit. Plug all lines and ports to prevent fluid loss and dirt entry.
4. On all models except P30 motor home, remove pedal pushrod cotter pin and washer, then disconnect pushrod from brake pedal or pivot lever. Lower steering column or remove support brackets as necessary. Remove power brake unit bracket to dash panel or support bracket attaching nuts, then the power brake unit.
5. On P30 motor home, remove operating lever to vertical brake rod cotter pin, nut, bolt and washers. Remove power brake unit linkage bracket to front and rear support bracket attaching nuts, washers and bolts, then remove power brake unit from vehicle. Remove operating lever to pedal rod cotter pin, nut, washer and bolt. Remove brake pedal rod lever nut and bolt, then the lever, sleeve and bushing.
6. Reverse procedure to install, then bleed hydraulic system as follows:
a. Fill power steering reservoir to proper level and allow vehicle to sit for approximately two minutes.
b. Start engine and allow to run for several minutes, then shut engine off. Correct fluid level as necessary. Do this several times until fluid level becomes constant.
c. Raise and support front of vehicle, then turn wheels lock to lock. Shut engine off and add fluid as necessary.
d. Lower vehicle, then start engine and depress brake pedal several times while turning steering wheel lock to lock.
e. Shut engine off, then depress brake pedal 4 to 5 times to allow accumulator to deplete.
f. Check reservoir and refill as required. If fluid is extremely foamy, allow vehicle to sit for several minutes, then repeat procedure above.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am changing the pump not the booster
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

Sorry about that, the pump is not bad, I guess that's why I got focused on the booster.

Here is the procedure, there is not much to it

1. Disconnect hoses at power steering pump, then plug pump ports and hoses to prevent dirt entry.
2. Loosen pump adjusting bolt and remove pump drive belt.
3. Remove pump to support bracket retaining bolts, then the pump.
4. Reverse procedure to install.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
theres no bleeding or anything required and is the refilling procedure the same...the pump did go bad we replaced it and 2.5 miles down the road it got so hot the fluid boled and melted the cap.Either the new pump was bad or we screwed up and it got air bound somehow...sorry for the confusion
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

Just use the filling procedure as outlined in the booster instructions. No bleeding needed.

It had to have been a bad pump to get that hot. And the confusion was on my part!!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
last one Neal and I'll pay ya ! Does it have to be power steering fluid or will atf do? Thanks you've eased my mind
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
Although they are similar you really should use ps fluid as the additives are different and it really does work better.
Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience: Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok great thanks again Neal
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
neal-we replaced all that stuff and bled it but it seems to be running real hot-any idea what the p/s fluid temperature is supposer to be?
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
There is not a spec for it but not much over about 200 degrees, it should not get much hotter than the engine.