Neal
Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.

2005 Chevy Malibu: cyl..brake problem..brake light come

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu 4-Cyl with a strange brake problem. The brake light come on when the brake pedal is NOT depressed, then go off when the brake pedal is pressed. The problem is inconsistent, and despite having it in the shop three times, they've never been able to figure it out. At the same time, the cruise control does not work. The light on the steering wheel comes on as if cruise control is on, but nothing happens when you try to set the speed. Not sure if these problems are related, but since the brakes turn off the cruise control, maybe? Different parts have been replaced related to the brakes, but nothing has solved this problem. Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

What kind of shop have you been going to? This soounds like it may be Body Control Module issue and it will take a dealer diagnostic to confirm this, those functions in question are all controlled by Body Control Modules.

Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience: Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
let me get some more information
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
No problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Found this info on a free online forum:

The BCM is on the RH console as shown. Its the inside fuse box.
check fuse 47 in the underhood fuse box. The BCM may be at fault, but a new BCM will have to be programmed by a dealer, in the vehicle

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2005-2006 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6 vehicle, or 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6: or Saturn AURA vehicle equipped with electric power steering, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2005-2006 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6 vehicles, and 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6; and Saturn AURA vehicles, equipped with electric power steering, may have a condition where there is a loss of power steering assist caused by electrical input signals within the steering column assembly. If the power steering assist is lost, a chime will be heard and the Driver Information Center will display a "Power Steering" warning message. On some vehicles, the Service Vehicle Soon light will also illuminate. The vehicle can still be steered in a safe manner but will require greater driver effort at low vehicle speeds or when stopped.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer/retailer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the loss power steering assist caused by electrical input signals within the steering column assembly. If this condition occurs on your 2005-2006 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6 vehicle, or 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6: or Saturn AURA vehicle within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer/retailer. You may want to contact your GM dealer/retailer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer/retailer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by August 31, 2011.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer. If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

1-XXX-XXX-XXXX
We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Scott Lawson

Director, Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure 10183

Subject: Intermittently Brake Lights (Stop Lamp) Do Not Function Correctly, Extended Travel to Shift Out of Park, Cruise Control Inoperative, DTCs C0161/C0277 Set (Perform Repair as Outlined)

Models: 2004-2007 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Classic

2005-2009 Pontiac G6

2007-2009 Saturn AURA

--------------------------------------…

Condition
Some customers may comment that intermittently the brake lights do not function correctly. Other symptoms may include extended pedal travel required to shift out of PARK, cruise control does not function correctly, and DTC C0161 and/or C0277 may be set.

Cause
The most likely cause of this condition is high resistance due to terminal fretting corrosion in the body control module (BCM) C2 connector (specifically pins C2-18, C2-31 and C2-59).

Correction
DO NOT replace the BCM for this condition. Disconnecting the C2 connector, adding dielectric silicone grease and reconnecting the C2 connector per the procedure below will correct the high resistance condition due to terminal fretting corrosion.

Remove the right side front floor console side trim panel to access to the Body Control Module (BCM).
Locate the C2 connector on the BCM.
Unlatch the C2 connector and disconnect the C2 connector from the BCM.
Reconnect the C2 connector back on the BCM and re-latch.
Repeat Steps 3 and 4 (this step cleans up the terminal fretting corrosion).
Using the Tech 2®, verify the brake pedal position sensor (BPPS) voltage is between:
• 0.88V - 2.11V (for 2004-2006 model years)

• 0.73V - 1.47V (for 2007-2009 model years)

Check for proper operation of the brake lights.
• If the brakes lights are operating properly, remove the C2 connector again from the BCM and proceed to Step 8.

• If the brake lights are not operating properly, proceed to Step 12.

Apply dielectric lubricant (clear gel) GM P/N 12377900 (In Canada, use P/N 10953529) on the BCM C2 pins (apply with a one-inch nylon bristle brush) on all the C2 connector pins (this will treat the pins against fretting corrosion).
Reinstall the right side front floor console side trim panel.
Using the Tech 2®, check that the BPPS ratio is equal to BPPS learned home when the brake pedal is not depressed.
• If they are equal, brake lamps should be operating correctly and no further steps are necessary.

• If they are not equal, perform the Brake Pedal Position Sensor Calibration procedure in SI to complete the repair.

Check the brake lights for proper operation. If incorrect, refer to SI and perform normal diagnostics.
Source(s):
gm tech
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
Those symptoms do not seem to match yours? At least not from the way I read your question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The second half of the letter sounds exactly like my problem:

"Condition
Some customers may comment that intermittently the brake lights do not function correctly. Other symptoms may include extended pedal travel required to shift out of PARK, cruise control does not function correctly, and DTC C0161 and/or C0277 may be set."

My brake lights sometimes work properly, other times come on when they shouldn't, and don't come on when they should. Also, the cruise control does not work.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
Then I would go ahead and clean the connector for the bcm and see if it resolves the issue.