Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

1999 chevy s10: 4.3 v6 it wont start once and a while nothing shows

i have a 1999 chevy s10 4.3 v6 it wont start once and a while nothing shows up on the scope
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
can you get it to crank over but not start ?and when this happens it will physically crank over it just will not fire up ? no codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it cranks over well its shows no problems with the codes then randomly it will start
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
what we need to find out is if its missing spark or fuel when it will not start.can you get it to act up and see when cranking if you have spark at the plug wires where they connect to the spark plugs when cranking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its my sons truck i was only there one time when it wouldnt start i replaced the harness rotor and dis cap it ran i thought i solved the problem but he went to start it a few days later and it wouldnt start
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
boy it could be alot of things that can cause this.you really have to confirm what its missing when it will not start.i would hate for you to keep throwing parts at it.it could be a fuel pump or fuel pressure problem or an intermitant no spark condition
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what breaks fixs itself breaks and fixs itself a fuell pump does not repair itself
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
intermitant low or no fuel pressure can be the problem as a feul pump can fail and not pump or pump low PSI then when keyed again can work
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that should show on the computer
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
no that will show with a fuel pressure gauge connected to the test port on the engine back on the fuel line by the distibuter.key on engine off what the PSI would be reading when it will not start.under 60 PSI key on engine off there is a fuel pressure problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i would like to accept this answer but if its not the fuel pump then im out another thirty bucks and still have the same problem
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
either way you can repost threw this post and get me anytime.i wouldnt put any parts in this truck untill you can confirm if its missing spark or fuel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
to be honest i thought being an expert you would have a few suggestions or came across similar problem
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
i have seen intermitant spark problems.intermitant fuel pressure problems and even theft systems cause this problem.for me to guess would be unjust to you and your wallet.being an expert and most experts in here the # XXXXX thing is to see what is missing.you could throw 100 's of dollars at this and guess.any expert would not be an expert and guess on what is missing when it will not start for you.i dont think thats fair for us to guess and have you spend money you do not have to spend
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech