Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chevrolet Express 3500: have 2001 express van 3500, service

have 2001 express van 3500, service engine light came on and i took to dealership. They tell me $1,300 to fix installing a new distributor unit. I checked and can get the part for $150.00. What and who should I look for to install the distributor and how tough is it. I pulled the console out to see the distributor and it is sitting right there on top? How difficult is this installation?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

hi

it isnt that bad if you have done it before..most any independent shop may install the distribuetr for around $150+/-...if you have never done this,,it will be easy to get out of time...but.i will give you the instructions

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

2001 Chevy Truck Express 1 Ton Van V8-5.7L VIN R
Distributor Service and Repair, Procedures: Distributor Replacement

Removal Procedure

Notice:
There are two procedures available to install the distributor.

Use Installation Procedure 1 when the crankshaft has NOT been rotated from the original position.

Use Installation Procedure 2 when any of the following components are removed:

^ The intake manifold
^ The cylinder head
^ The camshaft
^ The timing chain or sprockets
^ The complete engine

If the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) turns on and DTC P1345 sets after installing the distributor, this indicates an incorrectly installed distributor.

Engine damage or distributor damage may occur. Use Procedure 2 in order to install the distributor.

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
2. Remove the engine cover.

Remove the spark plug wires from the distributor cap

^ Twist each spark plug wire 1/2 turn.
^ Pull only on the boot in order to remove the wire from the distributor cap.

3. Remove the electrical connector from the base of the distributor.

4. Remove the screws that retain the distributor cap to the housing.
5. Discard the screws.
6. Remove the distributor cap from the housing.

7. Use a grease pencil in order to mark the position of the rotor in relation to the distributor housing (1).
8. Mark the distributor housing and the intake manifold with the grease pencil.

9. Remove the mounting clamp and hold-down bolt.
10. Remove the distributor.

11. As the distributor is being removed from the engine, watch the rotor move in a counter-clockwise direction about 42 degrees. This will appear as slightly more than one clock position.
12. Note the position of the rotor segment.
13. Place a second mark on the base of the distributor (2). This will aid in achieving the proper rotor alignment during the distributor installation.

Installation Procedure 1

1. If installing a new distributor assembly, place 2 marks on the new distributor housing in the same location as the marks on the original housing.
2. Remove the new distributor cap, if necessary.

Important: Use a long screwdriver in order to align the oil pump drive shaft to the drive tab of the distributor.

3. Align the rotor with the second mark (2).

4. Guide the distributor into the engine.
5. Align the hole in the distributor hold-down base over the mounting hole in the intake manifold.

6. As the distributor is being installed, observe the rotor moving in a clockwise direction about 42 degrees.
7. Once the distributor is completely seated, the rotor segment should be aligned with the mark on the distributor base (1).

^ If the rotor segment is not aligned with the mark, the driven gear teeth and the camshaft have meshed one or more teeth out of alignment.
^ In order to correct this condition, remove and reinstall the distributor.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

8. Install the distributor mounting clamp and bolt.

Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 25 Nm (18 lb ft).

9. Install the distributor cap.
10. Install the new distributor cap screws.

Tighten
Tighten the screws to 2.4 Nm (21 lb in).

11. Install the electrical connector to the distributor.
12. Install the spark plug wires to the distributor cap.

13. Install the ignition coil wire. The wire must not touch anything like the dip stick. Rubbing will cause a ground or a short condition after a short period of use.

Important: If the malfunction indicator lamp illuminates after installing the distributor and DTC P1345 is set, the distributor has been installed incorrectly.

14. Refer to Installation Procedure 2 if the malfunction indicator lamp illuminates after installing the distributor.
15. Install the engine cover.

Installation Procedure 2

Important: Rotate the number 1 cylinder to top dead center (TDC) of the compression stroke. The engine front cover has 2 alignment tabs and the crankshaft balancer has 2 alignment marks spaced 90 degrees apart which are used for positioning the number 1 piston at TDC. With the piston on the compression stroke and at TDC, the crankshaft balancer alignment mark (1) must align with the engine front cover tab (2) and the crankshaft balancer alignment mark (4) must align with the engine front cover tab (3).

1. Rotate the crankshaft balancer clockwise until the alignment marks on the crankshaft balancer are aligned with the tabs on the engine front cover and the number 1 piston is at TDC of the compression stroke.

Notice: The ignition system distributor driven gear and rotor may be installed in multiple positions. In order to avoid mistakes, mark the distributor on the following components in order to ensure the same mounting position upon reassembly:
^ The distributor driven gear
^ The distributor shaft
^ The rotor holes

Installing the driven gear 180 degrees out of alignment, or locating the rotor in the wrong holes, will cause a no-start condition. Premature engine wear or damage may result.

2. Align the white paint mark on the bottom stem of the distributor and the pre-drilled indent hole in the bottom of the gear (3).

3. Use a long screw driver in order to align the oil pump drive shaft to the drive tab of the distributor.
5. Ensure that the spark plug towers are perpendicular to the centerline of the engine.
6. Once the distributor is fully seated, the rotor segment should be aligned with the pointer cast into the distributor base.

^ If the rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the pointer, the gear mesh between the distributor and the camshaft may be off a tooth or more.
^ If the rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the pointer, repeat the procedure again in order to achieve the proper alignment.

7. Install the distributor mounting clamp bolt.

Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 25 Nm (18 lb ft).

8. Install the distributor cap.
9. Install the new distributor cap screws.

Tighten

10. Install the electrical connector to the distributor.
11. Install the spark plug wires to the distributor cap.

Important: The ignition coil wire must not touch anything. Rubbing will ground or short the wire after a short time.

12. Install the ignition coil wire.

13. Repeat Installation Procedure 2 if the malfunction indicator lamp illuminates after installing the distributor.
14. Install the engine cover.

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.