jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified A6,A8,L1, California Licensed Smog Technician

Chevrolet Suburban: Need to replace EVAP Solenoid and clean

Need to replace EVAP Solenoid and clean canister. 2007 Chevy Suburban.
I dropped the Spare tire but not sure what it what. Can you point me in the right direction and give me pointers on this process. Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  jim replied 4 years ago.

The evap solenoid is under the hood, and the vent solenoid is by the canister, cleaning the canister is not going to help this problem. Here is a pic of what you are looking for.

(2)Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Canister Vent Solenoid Valve
(3)Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor
(4)Fuel Pump and Sender Assembly

Here are the things to check for this code

Check the battery fuse 14 in the under hood fuse block.

2. Check for Battery Voltage (B+) at the vent solenoid pin B Red/White wire.

3. Check the White wire at the vent solenoid for a ground with the vent solenoid commanded off.

4. If the White wire has a ground with the vent solenoid commanded off, unplug the C1 connector at the Engine Control Module (ECM). If the ground is gone replace the ECM, if there is still a ground on the White wire with the ECM unplugged, check for a short to ground between the vent solenoid and the ECM.

Battery voltage is supplied to the Evaporative Emission Control System (EVAP) canister vent solenoid valve. The control module grounds the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve control circuit to close the valve by means of an internal switch called a driver. The scan tool displays the commanded state of the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve as ON or OFF. The control module monitors the status of the driver.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The (EVAP) Canister Vent Solenoid Valve does not seem to be in the same location as the diagram. I think I found it more toward the rear but it is really small. maybe 2" in diameter and 3.15" long.

Do you think this is it? I replaced the Evap Solenoid under the hood and fuse 14 is fine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I figured it out. The canister is a large square box as shown in the drawing but the solenoid was back further under the spare tire.