Pete, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Chevrolet IMPALA: INTERIOR LIGHTS WONT TURN OFF EXCEPT WITH

Customer Question

INTERIOR LIGHTS WON'T TURN OFF EXCEPT WITH THE TEN MINUTE BATTERY SAVER FEATURE
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Pete :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.I will try and assist you today with your question.Please don't click on accept unless you feel satisfied with my assistance here.

Pete :

In allot of cases this can be caused by a door latch assembly sending the incorrect signal to the BCM (body control module) that the door is opened even when it is closed and in turn the BCM will keep the lights on until it times out.This can be checked with a scan tool plugged into the vehicle observing the door latch signals to see if one shows open,if one does then the latch assembly needs replaced.

Pete :

If all of the latches show closed when the doors are closed then this may be an internal electrical fault in the BCM keeping these lights on,the fault codes would need checked in the BCM with a scan tool that can communicate with it and then if found at fault it would need replaced.

Pete :

I dont think this is shorted wiring as if it was usually the BCM wouldnt be able to time out the lights.

Customer :

THE door ajar light on the instrument panel goes out when the door is shut, would this not certify that door latch.

Pete :

Usually this does indicate the latch is o.k. but to be safe I would have the door signals checked by someone with a scan tool that can observe the BCM data list on the scan tool to see if the latch signals are correct with the doors closed and also opened.

Pete :

Latch failure is most common for this fault here.

Pete :

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!

Customer :

i'll try that. can i leave this screen open and check the accept button later if this works?

Customer :

can I check this advice and check the accept button later?

Pete :

You can come back at any time before and after the accept if needed.Just book mark this page and come back or come back through the emails sent to you from this post.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just got a call from my dealer (the only one able to check the body control module) and my repair for replacing the BCM will be $485.

all the door locks checked out correctly.

jbonds

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
I apologize for the delay.

In some cases the BCM can be at fault and cause this here as the door signals are sent to the BCM.

If the have diagnosed this correctly then the BCM should correct this fault.

I would ask them what type of guarantee they offer that this will fix this issue and if it doesn't will they help with the costs to re diagnose and repair the fault or help with the costs for this repair.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

THE first answer I got was wrong. The second answer came after I had already put the car in the shop and after I posted that the dealer was repairing the bcm (for $485)

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
I apologize.In some cases it can be the BCM at fault,most of the time it is a faulty latch.I did post in my first answer above when we first started chatting that the BCM is a possibility of being at fault:

"
Pete :

If all of the latches show closed when the doors are closed then this may be an internal electrical fault in the BCM keeping these lights on,the fault codes would need checked in the BCM with a scan tool that can communicate with it and then if found at fault it would need replaced."

Once again I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks Pete.