GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

1999 chevy: 10 2.2 4cyl 2- wheel drive..cam..headlights..truck towed

I have a 1999 chevy S-10 2.2 4cyl 2- wheel drive and while i was driving the check engine light cam on, I pulled over to the side of the road and could not find any problems, got back in truch and drove down the road I had a little miss in the egine. The next day I was driving to work and the check engine light began to flash and then the transmission would not shift right and the engine was missing, I then pulled over to check things out turn the truck off and checked things out I could not find anything wrong and then when i tried to start the truck it would not turn over when I would turn the key dashlights and radio ok and the headlights would not dim, had truck towed to my home. I replaced the battery, still the same problem checked the starter by using a screwdriver putting it on the large stud on starter and then to the solnied and it turned over but would still not turn over with key . Need some help.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

when did you change things like the fuel filter or spark plugs?

GM Tech (Cam) :

IS there a remote starter installed?

Customer:

bought the truck about 30 days ago and have not changed the plugs or fuel filter no remote starter

Customer:

correct

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, and the starter is not working?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Is this a standard?

Customer:

the starter will turn over if I jumpwith screw driver at the the starter auto matic

Customer:

but not with the key

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does it turn over in neutral?

Customer:

no

GM Tech (Cam) :

do you have a test light?

Customer:

you mean a multi meter

GM Tech (Cam) :

that may work, but it is not the same.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Test for 12V at the yellow wire off the igntion switch

Customer:

ok

GM Tech (Cam) :

with the key in crank

GM Tech (Cam) :

.

Customer:

ok

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK.

Customer:

I can not do that right now but will try that in about 30min

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK.

Customer:

I have a cen-tech digital multimeter not sure how to use it

GM Tech (Cam) :

SEt it on the DC volts, 20 volt range

Customer:

you mean dcv

GM Tech (Cam) :

correct.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

do i put the red lead on yellow wire and then where woul i put the black lead

GM Tech (Cam) :

Black lead to metal on the dash or the barrel of the lighter.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

what is the best way to get to the yellow wire on switch

GM Tech (Cam) :

remove the trim on the column.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

this is going to take me a little time to do this and also i have to go to work in about 40 min

GM Tech (Cam) :

Please bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it so we can continue the discussion. You can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply. Please don't forget to click accept at some time as that is my only means of compensation for assisting you.

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.