Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.

98 chevrolet monte carlo: brake lights..fuses bulbs

Customer Question

98 chevrolet monte carlo brake lights dont work center light does changed fuses bulbs and brakelight switch still one works the other doesnt
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Rmldaytona replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for using Just Answer. I'm Robert and will give my best effort in answering your question.

This is a common failure.

The center brake light is powered directly from the brake switch.

However, the other brake lights are powered through the turn signal switch also called the multifunction switch or combination switch.

Since the turn signals are also on the same circuit as the brake lights, the power must run through the multifunction switch.

These are VERY common on most GM vehicles of that time period.

If you have found my answer helpful I ask that you ACCEPT so I may be compensated. Experts do not have funds added to their accounts until the answer has been accepted by the customer. If you need further assistance, I encourage you to ask and I will make every effort to assist you until you are satisfied. I make every effort to ensure high quality and accuracy of my answers