GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet 1990: : 1990 chevy truck ignition switch replace

: 1990 chevy truck ignition switch replacement
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Have you begun the replacement yet?

GM Tech (Cam) :

and is this a full size truck?

Customer :

no

Customer :

yes

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, one moment please.

GM Tech (Cam) :

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Carefully loosen attaching bolts, then lower the steering column.
3. Place ignition switch into the Lock position. If the lock cylinder has been removed, the actuating rod to the switch should be pulled up, until there is a definite stop, then move down one detent. This is the Lock position.
4. Remove two attaching screws from ignition switch.
5. Remove ignition switch assembly.
6. Reverse procedure to install.

Customer :

The ignition switch will not move back to the lock position. I tried to do that and the outer ring broke off

GM Tech (Cam) :

You mean the cylinder then that is around the key?

Customer :

yes

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok that is for the igntion cylinder then not the switch.

GM Tech (Cam) :

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Place lock cylinder in the Run position.
3. Remove The steering wheel by pulling the horn contact out and remove
the wire. Remove the nut and rock hard side to side ot loosen it.
4. Remove turn signal switch. It is not necessary to completely remove the turn signal switch from the column. Pull switch rearward enough to slip it over the end of the shaft. Do not pull the harness out of the column.
5. Remove attaching screw and lock cylinder set. Do not drop the screw into the column.
6. To install, align cylinder key with keyway in housing, as shown in Fig. 1. Push the lock completely inward, install attaching screw and torque to 40 inch lbs., on standard columns, or 22 inch lbs., on tilt columns.

GM Tech (Cam) :

REmove the lock plate with a lock plate press and a pick, most parts stores have them.

GM Tech (Cam) :

CLICK HERE

Customer :

What is the lock plate?

GM Tech (Cam) :

It is a plate so the wheel cannot be turned with the key out. THere is a small snap ring that holds it on.

Customer :

I do not understand? Where is it located? I do not see it on the diagram

GM Tech (Cam) :

CLICK HERE

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does that clear it up? this is directly under the steering wheel.

GM Tech (Cam) :

HERE IS A DIFFERENT VIEW

Customer :

Not sure. I am going to get started. Will you be around for awhile if I get stuck and have more questions?

GM Tech (Cam) :

You may leave the page open and work on it and I will be here as you need. Just don't forget about me.

Customer :

Thanks.

GM Tech (Cam) :

My pleasure.

GM Tech (Cam) :

HOw are you making out?

Customer :

Not well

GM Tech (Cam) :

what can I do to help?

Customer :

Not well. That ring that looks like a black cog wheel is held on with a snap ring which I can not get to.

GM Tech (Cam) :

ok you need to use the puller to pull on the shaft and push down on the plate then use a point pick to get it out

Customer :

OK I try that

GM Tech (Cam) :

ok

Customer :

I The pend that holds the cylender. I unscrewed the pin but over the head of the oin was a plactic piece with to metal arms sticking out sort of y shaped. I lifted that out in order to get the pin out now I can not get it back in.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Did it break off? If so not a big deal, that is only a key in cylinder alarm.

Customer :

yes

GM Tech (Cam) :

I would not worry too much about it then.

Customer :

So I am ready to reassemble??

GM Tech (Cam) :

Basically yes.

Customer :

OK

Customer :

OK I will be back

GM Tech (Cam) :

check it every step of the way to make sure it keeps working., and I am assuming that you have it working now and going off?

GM Tech (Cam) :

ok

GM Tech (Cam) :

ANy luck?

Customer :

What is the secret to compressing that spring and getting that snap ring back in place all being done by one person?

GM Tech (Cam) :

With the tool. It pulls on the shaft while pushing on the plate to compress it.

Customer :

I did it without said tool. I rented the steering wheel puller from the local auro parts store I will have to see if they have this tool. What is it called?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Steering wheel lock plate tool, they are cheap even if you need to buy it.

Customer :

OK I will be back Off to the store

GM Tech (Cam) :

ok

Customer :

OK It is back together. The Auto Parts guy's are not auto parts guys the their womens dress clerks. "Clueless" But I found the tool it worked great. Thanks for you help!!!

Customer :

Whats next. I click on the Accept ?

GM Tech (Cam) :

If this is all you need then yes, please.

41060.4896589468
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.