GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

1999 Blazer: Wont start..only start..Starter Fluid in tbneed help

1999 Blazer: Won't start. Changed the following:
Fuel Pump
CKP
Fuel Pressure Regulator

Will only start when spray "Starter Fluid" in TB

Need help
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

To start with, does the fuel pump run?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Or does it stay running with fuel in the throttle body?

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
When you do this, does it stay running after spraying the fuel or does it only run with fuel in the intake?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Stays running only as long as fuel is in TB/Intake. Fuel pressure is 59-62psi at fuel line before entering intake.
Does the pressure stay up with the key turned off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes pressure stays up- 62psi. Bleeds down to 55psi and holds. My scan DTC shows the the following codes: P0171, P0174, P01345 (R/R this sensor)
Ok, so a lean condition and timing.
Those should not stop it. So did you replace the rest of the fuel injector assembly or check for injector firing with a noid light?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is the next step. But would the "spider" assembly keep it from running? But only run rough?
that is why we need to see if there is injector pulse with the noid light, but to answer, yes the spider assembly can stop it from running, it is VERY common.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To check injector with a noid light, must the engine be running in able check injector pulse?
No cranking is fine. Let me ask, is the security ligth flashing in the dash?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Ok, that will prevent the injectors from firing, do a relearn.
Turn the key on and attempt to start the car, It may crank, it may start and stall or it may do nothing at all, this is fine, still cycle the key to start then release the key back to run.
Wait 10 minutes with the key in run. The passlock light should be flashing and the DIC will say "Service Vehicle" or "Security" or have a picture of a car with a lock during that 10 minute span.
After 10 minutes has passed, turn off the car, count to 10, and try to start it again and release the key back to run.
Wait another 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again and release the key to run.
Wait another 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again.
It should start up this time. The passlock has been learned.

During this process, turn the fans off, radio off and cycle the headlights off so the battery will not go dead. If needed, use a battery charger.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm reviewing your "relearn". Not quite sure this will cure my problem. The security has always been on since l have an auto alarm system.
Ok but if there is no injector pulse, then the security is one cause for this. Does the light flash after releaseing the key back to run? If so then try this to see.
if not then test for injector pusle at the injector wiring. If there is pulse then replace the injector block.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you suggesting testing for current to the block connector atop the intake? If there is currect, then replace the entire spider assembly?
Partially, check for power on the pink then on any of the 6 wires, see if the test light pulses to ground.
If so then yes, replace it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a specific amount of current at each wire, or any current will do.
12V igntion, enough to light a test light solid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I decide to replace the spider unit, which is better ? Delphi or Standard Fuel (sold by AutoZone,O'reilly)
If it was mine I would get the injector update kit HERE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This update kit vs the original system. What the upside?
The original has it as a spider, the update puts new style injectors in that give better mileage and better injectors.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cost difference ? and how and where to buy this upgrade ?
Get it from GM or even www.partdirect.com andI think the kit is around 350.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Delphi cost $238.00 and a simple drop in.
is that the spider assembly or the update? I have not looked at the costs lately so if so that is a good price.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The spider assembly through Summit Racing. A couple of autopart stores had remfg for $ 168. My blazer has 175K miles and looks very good. To justify $ 350 may be a bit much on the pocket book
Understood, just verify there is injector pulse before replacing it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What if there is not a pulse?

Then we are looking at the ECM or Body Control Module (BCM) as it concerns security.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To check these items, is there a test for each ?

It is done with a scan tool to see the data in the module for the theft system.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.