Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

The inside of the tread on my rear tires (both) has wore down

The inside of the tread on my rear tires (both) has wore down to the wire in the belts in a very short time. What would cause this? It's a 2008 Chevy Impala.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you.

Sorry for the delay

Inside tire wear is caused by one of 3 things

Toe adjustment, Camber adjustment or worn ball joints

Toe is as if you are looking down on top of car, the front tires are pointing out on each side thus scuffing the inside edge and wearing fast

Camber is to top of each tire is leaning in thus the inside edge scuffs/wears

Ball joints worn can also cause camber to be off

I ten do lean more to toe adjustment

To have camber off or ball joint s bad at same time on each side is not real common. Toes going out is rather common and is from age, bumps, etc over time

A simple alignment will show the tto and camber out and the tech can readjust to specs with littl problems

i suggest getting an alignmant done at reputable shop, explain what you are seeing, they will check all the front end parts for wear at same time and included with alignment fees

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My problem is with the rear tires, not the front. Also this wear happened very quickly. Thanks Randall.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry I missed that, let me check something
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
Ok, there is a recal for certain Impalas that have the police package even if not sold as police car but suspect not yours

i am still going back to same thought, The alignmant can be adjusted in rear just klike the front. The balljoints need to be checked but suspect that the toe adjustment is out and the tires are pinting out some. its does not take much, less that 2 deg and wear will occcur real fast. Same if the camber is out on the rear

Its still the same as front. need to do quick inspect of balljoints and have alignment checked adjusted on the rear.the rear is adjustable like the front of the car
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist