conquest.tsi
conquest.tsi, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  automechanic
46707633

leak in power steering pump but dont know where...good with trucks

Customer Question

i have a leak in power steering pump but dont know where. i am not good with trucks but dont have money to get fixed so i have to. i need to know how to find out where it is leaking from and how to fix it. its dripping somewhere by the pump but there is an oily substance all over the right side of the motor which i am assuming is from it aswell as power steering fluid ontop of the power steering cap.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  conquest.tsi replied 4 years ago.

Hello......the most common leak is the power steering pressure hose ,this hose screws into the pump and goes to the steering box.

If the hose is not wet from oil i recommend to wash the pump with some degreaser and then run the engine and turn the steering wheel a few times.

Look for leak from front pump seal or the reservoir to pump seal.(big o'ring around the pump)

There is also the return line/hose from box to the reservoir ,it has a clamp on pump side.It usually does not leak unless it rusts.

The oil on top of pump is because the system is getting air through the leak and when you stop the engine it over flows the reservoir.

Good luck.

Let me know. Accept my answer if i have helped.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am sorry but i did not want to ask this... as i was doing this my brother swore he could fix it so i tried to stop my question... my brother did fix the problem already so i am sorry but i was trying to stop my question from going through and i thought i did...

I am only the tech ,you will need to contact customer service.

Good luck.

Thank you.