Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2003 Chevy S10: check engine light, abs..parking light..engine started

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 2003 Chevy S10 pickup. The check engine light, ABS and emerg parking light suddenly camp on with the engine started. Took it to the shop (Pepboys). They changed some vacuum hoses. Worked for a day then came back on. Took it back in and they changed the vapor can valve. The lights are out now but as I was driving away, I noticed my fuel gage isn't working and the odometer which displays correctly with the key turned half on turns off with the engine started. It seems strange to me that this new problem happened without being related to their work but that's what they claim. Any ideas fellas.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is David and I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

From the symptoms you have described, it sounds like intermittent failure of the igniton switch. Loss of power to certain circuits will cause the abs and Brake warning lights to come on, as well as loss of various lights and odometer functions. Replacing the ignition switch should fix this problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let me see about getting that changed. I'll let you know if it fixes it. Thanks for the speedy reply.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome. Please let me know if I can help further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Dave. Just got my truck from my local Chevy service department. It cost me another $160 to find out my problem was a fuse missing. Of corse Pepboys claims they didn't do it. Like I said before, seems strange I didn't have this problem before I took my truck to Pepboys. $260 bucks at Pepboys and $160 at the Chevy dealer = $420 bucks. What a rip off.

Oh yea, the Chevy dealer said my ABS control module was bad and would cost $1000 plus tax to fix. Plus my freon was leaking and this would ruin my clutch wanted $675 to fix this Can't afford that. Hell I dont think my truck is worth more than $2500 bucks or so?

I originally took my truck to the Chevy dealer to have the ignition switch replaced per your suggestion. They wanted $375 for this. I came out better that this was. It the problem but I do appreciate your speedy response.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the update. Sorry the dealer charged you so much to replace a fuse. Seems like when troubleshooting in person they could have found that fairly quickly and charged you less.