Mark, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34+ yrs Dealership Exp. - Fully State & ASE Certified - GM Master & GM World Class Tech

1998 Lumina: V..two (2) crankshaft position sensors...damper

I have a 3.1 chevy V-6 in a 1998 Lumina. It has two (2) crankshaft position sensors. One is under the damper! where is the other one located?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Greetings and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Mark.

Your other sensor is on the back of the engine block, underneath your cylinder head. You'll need to remove the upper strut mount there on the cowl, (above the radiator) and rock the motor forward. Put a piece of 2x4 board behind the front tire as you rock the motor forward. You might have to remove the Alternator to reach down there to gain access.

CLICK HERE using microsoft word to see a document with pictures. If can't see this document using microsoft word, let me know and I can send it to you in a PDF file.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have the alternator off and both from motor mounts that go over the radiator and also took off the right from tire and I still can't find the part. I can't open your picture so if you would send me a pdf file that would be great. Also by the the back of the engine block do you mean the side that is next to fire wall. that is what I thought but not sure because the back of the engine faces the driverside fender
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Yes, that is what I meant. Actually, I should have said, the "right" side engine. And, I understand the difficulty in finding or locating your crank sensor. It is down there, between your block and transmission.

You're going to have to be real careful when you find it and go to remove. The sensor itself wants to "swell" over time, and it can become very difficult to remove. The sealing o-ring gets hard and the plastic body of the sensor wants to expand with age and heat.

I don't have any "quick" tricks or ideas either on getting it out. I have replaced numerous sensors, and I've tried lubricant, soaking with WD-40, and all the tricks, but it usually ends up breaking and I have to remove the oil pan and get it out that way.

Below is the file in PDF. You should be able to see it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

CLICK HERE for the PDF file of the Crank Sensor location on the right side of the block.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thankyou the pictures have helped I will go out tomorrow morning and try again to locate.
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Okay and glad you could see what is going on.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Take care
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just wanted to thank you Mark you gave good info. the drawing really helped. I go lucky the sensor was not swollen and came right out. I still struggled this morning until I got a rachet strap hooked to the engine to my work bench and was able to get the motor forward enough to ge my hand back there. I will accept your answer now.