Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

lacks power but idles fine. it wont go faster than 20 mph

lacks power but idles fine. it won't go faster than 20 mph even with accelator pedal almost to the floor . seems to be lack of gas because of no gas smell . fuel seems to be running fine and fuel fliter was changed. pump was changed 1yr ago approx.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

There are 3 possible problems: Bad ignition coil, Restricted catalytic converter, or Weak fuel pump.

From the symptoms you are describing, I would first start with the converter. Disconnect the exhaust pipes at the manifolds and drive the vehicle. If power is back to normal, replace the converter.

If this did not prove to be the problem, then next most likely will be the fuel pump. Test fuel pressure with a gauge connected to the test port on the engine. Fuel pressure should be 55-62 psi with the key on, engine off. If fuel pressure is lower than specified, replace the fuel pump.

Least likely problem is the coil.