AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2007 chevy monte carlo: wont start..lights come..comes back

my 2007 chevy monte carlo won't start with the remote start or with the key in the ignition. When i put the key in, the lights come on and the radio works fine but when i try to turn it, everything goes off then comes back on again.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Hello!

It sounds to me like you might just have a battery issue, bad connection, blown fuse or fusible link causing your no crank condition. Electrical can be very difficult to diagnose so please stick with me and read this very carefully. There are a few possibilities here that it could be. We are going to need to run a few tests to see what is going on. Don't worry... these tests are really easy! I can walk you through this diagnoses.

The first thing we need to do it check the battery with a voltmeter. A fully charged battery must have enough cranking capacity to provide the starter motor and ignition system with enough power to start the engine over a broad range of ambient temperatures. It could be bad or just low on a charge. If the battery is bad, it can still cause a no crank condition even if it has a full charge. I would rec to get it load tested at a shop or at a battery store. A battery load test will verify the actual cranking capability of the battery. This is the best test. Or you can take a voltmeter and put it on the battery and crank the engine over. (Be sure the battery has a full charge on it.) If the volts drop below 9.6, the battery is bad and needs to be replaced! Just be sure all cable connections are clean and tight. Not only at the battery, but on the starter, engine and frame! Positive side as well as the negative side.

If all checks out, make sure that you have battery voltage on both terminals of the starter when cranking. If full battery voltage (12.6 volts) is present and the starter is not working, then the starter is bad and will need to be replaced! Just be sure all fuses small regular and large size fuses are good under the hood, as well as inside the vehicle

The only other things left would be a bad neutral position switch, bad ignition switch or a wiring or connector problem. Just be sure there are no anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the dash with the key on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't think its the battery because everything else seems to be working fine. I think that when I first tried to start the car my information panel said something about service theft-deterrent system, but as i kept trying to start the car and then disconnected the battery now it doesn't say that. The car worked fine yesterday. Could it be that if the alarm got triggered or if there is something wrong with the security system that its preventing any current to the starter?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
YES it could be.. but then there will be an anti theft or security light on or flashing on the dash with the key on.