Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Chevrolet Astro LS AWD: How to remove the front axles and change

Customer Question

How to remove the front axles and change the front defferential on a 1998 Chevrolet Astro LS AWD van.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

hi

this should help you

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

1998 Chevy Truck Astro Van L AWD V6-4.3L VIN W
Axle Shaft Assembly Service and Repair, Procedures: Front Axle, Halfshaft Assembly Replacement

FRONT DRIVE AXLE

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT: Observe and accurately reference mark the positions of all driveline components relative to the propeller shaft prior to disassembly. These components include the propeller shafts, drive axles, pinion flange, inner axle shafts, etc. Reassemble all components in the exact relationship the components had to one another prior to disassembly. Follow the specifications, torque values and any measurement made prior to disassembly in order to maintain the factory system balance of the driveline components. System balance provides a smoother running driveline operation.

1. Unlock the steering column allowing the steering linkage to move freely.
2. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting Points.

3. Strap the frame to the hoist in order to prevent movement.
4. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Wheel Removal in Tires and Wheels.

5. Insert a drift through the brake caliper and into a brake rotor vane to prevent the wheel drive shafts from turning.

6. Remove the axle nut and the washer. Discard the nut.
7. Remove the drift from the brake rotor.

8. Remove the brake hose bracket from the upper control arm.

9. Remove the wheel sensor wire bracket from the upper control arm.
10. Remove the brake caliper. Refer to Brake Caliper Replacement in Disc Brakes.
Support the caliper with a piece of wire in order to prevent damage to the brake hose.

11. Remove the brake rotor.

12. Remove the shock absorber bottom mounting nut and the bolt.
Compress the shock absorber.

13. Position a safety stand under the lower control arm.

NOTICE: Be careful that the safety stand does not damage or bend any components it may contact.

14. Support the weight of the steering knuckle assembly and lower control arm with the safety stand.

15. Disconnect the wheel drive shaft from the steering knuckle by placing a brass drift on the end of the shaft and striking the drift with a hammer.
Do not attempt to remove the wheel drive shaft at this time.

16. Disconnect the upper control arm ball joint from the steering knuckle. Refer to Upper Ball Joint Replacement (Full-Time Four-Wheel Drive) in Front Suspension.
17. Disconnect the lower control arm ball joint from the steering knuckle. Refer to Lower Ball Joint Replacement (Full-Time Four-Wheel Drive) in Front Suspension.
After the lower control arm bail joint is loose from the knuckle, simultaneously push the wheel drive shaft toward the differential carrier in order to allow room to remove the steering knuckle.

18. Remove the steering knuckle from the wheel drive shaft.
Support the knuckle with a piece of wire from the upper control arm in order to prevent any strain on the outer tie rod and the wheel speed sensor wire.

19. Lower the safety stand with the lower control arm enough to allow clearance to remove the wheel drive shaft.
20. In order to prevent damage to the drive axle CV joint boots, cover the following components with a shop towel:
^ The shock mounting bracket
^ The lower control arm ball stud
^ All other sharp edges

IMPORTANT: Do not damage the differential carrier axle seals during wheel drive shaft removal.

graphic

21. Disconnect the wheel drive shaft from the front differential carrier by placing a brass drift or block of wood on the tripot housing and striking the drift with a hammer. Strike hard enough to overcome the snap ring pressure holding the drive axle to the differential carrier.
22. Remove the wheel drive shaft from the vehicle.
23. Inspect the seal on the steering knuckle for damage. Check the seal for any cuts or tears.
Lubricate the seal lip. If the seal is cut or torn, then check the wheel bearing for damage and replace the seal. Refer to Wheel Hub, Bearing, and Seal Replacement (Full/1-Time Four-Wheel Drive).

CAUTION: To prevent personal injury and/or component damage, do not allow the weight of the vehicle to load the front wheels, or attempt to operate the vehicle, when the wheel drive shaft(s) or wheel drive shaft nut(s) are removed To do so may cause the inner bearing race to separate, resulting in damage to brake and suspension components and loss of vehicle control.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT: Reassemble all components in the exact relationship the components had to one another prior to disassembly. Follow the specifications, torque values and any measurement made prior to disassembly in order to maintain the factory system balance of the driveline components. System balance provides a smoother running driveline operation.

IMPORTANT: Do not lubricate or damage the differential carrier axle seals during installation.
graphic

1. In order to prevent damage to the drive axle CV joint boots, cover the following components with a shop towel:
^ The shock mounting bracket
^ The lower control arm ball stud
^ All other sharp edges

2. Install the wheel drive shaft to the differential carrier by doing the following:
2.1. Using both hands, align the splines on the shaft with the differential housing.
2.2. Center the wheel drive shaft into the differential carrier.
2.3. Firmly push the shaft straight into the differential carrier until the retaining rings sits in the differential carrier.

3. Pull back on the tripot housing to ensure that the retaining ring is properly retaining the drive axle in the differential carrier. You should not be able to pull the wheel drive shaft out of the differential carrier when the retaining ring is properly seated.
4. Remove shop towels covering the following components.
^ The shock mounting bracket
^ The lower control arm ball stud
^ All other sharp edges

5. Guide the drive axle into the steering knuckle.
6. Raise the lower control arm with the safety stand to insert the lower control arm ball stud into the steering knuckle.

7. Assemble the lower ball joint. Refer to Lower Ball Joint Replacement (Full-Time Four-Wheel Drive) in Front Suspension.
8. Install the upper control arm ball joint to the steering knuckle. Refer to Upper Ball Joint Replacement (Full-Time Four-Wheel Drive) in Front Suspension.
9. Install the shock absorber to the lower mount.
10. Install the bolt and the nut.
^ Tighten the bolt to 62 Nm (46 ft. lbs.).

11. Install the brake rotor.
12. Install the brake caliper. Refer to Brake Caliper Replacement in Disc Brakes.

13. Install the wheel speed sensor bracket to the upper control arm.
^ Tighten the wheel speed sensor bracket nut to 16 Nm (12 ft. lbs.).

14. Install the brake hose bracket to the upper control arm.
^ Tighten the brake hose bracket nut to 16 Nm (12 ft. lbs.).

15. Insert a drift through the brake caliper and into a brake rotor vane to prevent the wheel drive shaft from turning.

16. Install the wheel drive shaft washer and the new nut.
^ Tighten the axle nut to 200 Nm (147 ft. lbs.).

17. Install the tire and the wheel. Refer to Wheel Installation in Tires and Wheels.
18. Check the front axle fluid level and add if needed. Use the proper fluid.
19. Remove the safety strap and the safety stand.
20. Lower the vehicle.

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do you remove the front defferential

ok

Differential Assembly Service and Repair, Procedures: Front Axle, On-Vehicle Service, Differential Carrier Assembly Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Unlock the steering column so that the steering linkage is free to move.
2. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
3. Remove the drain plug and the flat washer. Drain the fluid from the axle.

4. Remove the vent hose from the differential carrier.

5. Remove the idler arm bolts.
6. Reposition the steering linkage to allow for the removal of the carrier.
7. Remove the front propeller shaft. Refer to Propeller Shaft Replacement - Front in Propeller Shaft.
8. Remove the left and the right wheel drive shafts. Refer to Wheel Drive Shafts Replacement in Wheel Drive Shafts.

9. Support the carrier.
10. Remove the axle housing and the shaft. Refer to Inner Axle Housing Shaft and Housing Replacement
11. Remove the differential carrier assembly upper mounting bolt and the nut.

12. Remove the differential carrier assembly lower mounting nuts and the bolts.
13. Remove the differential carrier from the vehicle. Roll the carrier as necessary to clear the mounting brackets, the oil pan, and the steering linkage.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the carrier assembly to the vehicle.

2. Install the carrier mounting bolts and the nuts.
- Tighten the carrier assembly mounting bolts to 85 Nm (63 ft. lbs.).
3. Install the inner axle shaft housing and the shaft. Refer to Inner Axle Housing Shaft and Housing Replacement
4. Install the left and the right wheel drive shafts. Refer to Wheel Drive Shafts Replacement in Wheel Drive Shafts.
5. Install the front propeller shaft. Propeller Shaft Replacement - Front in Propeller Shaft.
6. Reposition the steering linkage,
7. Install the idler arms to the frame.
- Tighten the idler arm bolts to 105 Nm (77 ft. lbs.).

8. Install the axle vent hose.

9. Install the drain plug and the flat washer.
- Tighten the drain plug to 26 Nm (19 ft. lbs.).
10. Install the tires and wheels. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
11. Inspect the axle lubricant and add as needed. Use the proper fluid. Refer to Lubrication Specifications.
12. Lower the vehicle.