Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Chevrolet: ENG ID CODE TO325ACT BB TALL DECK WHAT YEAR-MOTOR

Customer Question

ENG ID CODE TO325ACT BB TALL DECK WHAT YEAR-MOTOR SIZE-HP
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ASEMaster35yrs replied 4 years ago.

Hi, glad to be of help. There are three engine identifiers to properly identify an engine. Do you have the casting number and date code? I will need to do some digging to find the suffix code you listed. I will get back you you when I find it.

graphic

I cannot find that suffix code anywhere. Are you sure it's correct? The block casting and date code would be a real help. They are needed to verify the suffix code. Is there a vin on the block? Where is the number you gave me located? On the pad below passenger side head or above the timing cover? Do you have a picture of the engine? How did you come by this engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
casting # XXXXX
I'm going to opt out since there is no GM block casting that I can find with that casting. In fact there isn't any that start with a 4. Good luck!
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.

Engine ID Code Example: V0101CLJ - (V = Plant, 01 = Month, 01 = Day, CLJ = Engine Suffix Code)
So, I assume the TO325ACT means:

T= Plant-Tonawanda

03=Month, March

25=Day, 25th

ACT=wait one moment for that.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
If that suffix code is hard to read, clean it off then take a bright crayon or chalk and rub it over the numbers, then lightly rub some of the crayon or chalk off and the numbers will be much easiar to read.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the id # XXXXX above timming cover on block and casting# XXXXX side rear block 478478
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.

Did you clean off the numbers and sue the crayon or chalk trick? You should be because I think your casting number is XXXXX 473478, which I have as a 1968-84, 427 cu.in., tall truck.

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-camaro-chevy-engine-big-block-codes.asp?group=1

Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician

If your suffix code is ACF you have a 1984 427 with 220hp Marine L43 block manufactured on may 25, 1984 at Tonawanda assembly plant. See: http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-camaro-chevy-bb-engine-suffix-codes.asp?group=11http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-camaro-chevy-bb-engine-suffix-codes.asp?group=11

ACF1984427220MarineL-43