Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD LT: How to install rear brake shoe

How to install rear brake shoe for a 2008 Chevy silverado
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm replacing the brake shoe and am having difficulty compressing the spring. As you know the spring is attached the the brake shoe as one piece.
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
they sell a tool to install those springs.if you cant get one i will use a big screwdriver to force that horseshoe spring into place
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have the special tool.Do you have the name for the special tool? Big screwdriver could not work. What if I removed the hardware that is attaced to the spring? Will it be harmfull?
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.

no as long as you put it back.try a big pair of slip pliers to get that spring into place.if not get that tool at like Harbor Freight

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I tried everything.We do not have a company by the name of Harbor Freight. I went to Checkers and they don't have a spring tool. Don't know what else to do but keep trying. If you think of anything else let me know. I also tried removing the hardware attached to the spring and the spring is now off rounded so have to reuse the old spring. I'll let you know if anything comes about.
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
Releases Tension on Large GM Single
Brake Springs so Brakes can be Serviced

cut and paste this link scroll down to the tool # XXXXX
this is the tool