Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Chevrolet Cobalt LT: My car is saying engine power reduced.

My car is saying engine power reduced. it shakes and the gas peddle doesn't work. My mechanic says the computor is reading no codes. What could this be?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.

Pete :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.I will try and assist you today with your question.Please don't click on accept unless you feel satisfied with my assistance here.

Pete :

Usually with this message on on the display there should be fault codes set in one of the control units on the vehicle,it may be possible the mechanics scan tool wasnt able to read all of these fault codes and these need rechecked with a different scan tool.

Pete :

A common fault can be the wiring at the throttle body connections or leading to the throttle body or the throttle body itself at fault.

Pete :

But first I would have it double checked to make sure there are no other codes set as this will aid and sometimes help in pinpointing the fault.

Customer:

My mechanic tried his scan tool and then used the mechanics scan tool the next over and and both said there were no codes

Pete :

Let me see if there are any bulletins out on this fault here

Pete :

Can you tell me the exact engine size in this vehicle?

Customer:

i am not sure. it should be the standard.

Pete :

O.k.,there is a bulletin for this message and to check the wiring from the throttle body as well as the throttle body connections and make sure the wiring isnt pulled tight or damaged in any way.

Pete :

If it is damaged or pulled to tight then this can cause this and needs corrected.

Customer:

would this be the only reason it would do that?

Pete :

This is most common as well as the throttle body being at fault.

Customer:

ok. thank you for your help

Pete :

Your welcome.

Pete :

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!