ASE Master Guru
ASE Master Guru, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  General Motors Engine Performance and Diagnostic Certified

2003 impala: check engine light comes..shifting..module

Customer Question

I have a 2003 impala. The check engine light comes on and the car jerks when shifting. Could it be the EGR module or the EGR system is clogged? Thanks.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ASE Master Guru replied 2 years ago.

ASE Master Guru :

Hello, my name is XXXXX. XX order to properly diagnose the problem I will need to know what "code" is associated with the check engine light. It is possible that the EGR system is faulty but without code it would be a guess. Do you know the code or have the capability of retrieving the code?

Customer :

No. I was told yesterday by my mechanic.

Customer :

He said that it looks like that the EGR was recently changed.

Customer :

He had cleared the light from the dash and now it is on again.

Customer :

The car jerks when shifting from 1st to 2nd and when I slow down, it jerks when down shifting.

Customer :

I did check the trans. fluid and it is ok.

ASE Master Guru :

I will need to know the code that is associated with the light. It will be a four digit code, your mechanic should be able to provide it if he looked at it yesterday. The symptoms you described could be a number of different things on the vehicle, with the code we can isolate which system is problematic and go from there. do you know which engine you have/ 3.4L or 3.8L?

Customer :

3.4L

ASE Master Guru :

O.K., how many miles on car?

Customer :

I am calling the mechanic now to see what code showed.

Customer :

65K

ASE Master Guru :

ok, i'll wait

Customer :

They did not record the code.

Customer :

Not in the vehicle's records.

ASE Master Guru :

If the light is on, it is an active code. you will need to retrieve for further diagnosis. Do you have access to a scan tool?

Customer :

No, does autozone have the capability?

ASE Master Guru :

If you are near an AutoZone, they will scan it for free.

Customer :

I can go and see, but it will take some time.

Customer :

how do I get back here?

ASE Master Guru :

ok bookmark this page and return to it when ready. I may be away but leave post/message and I will get back to you promptly.

Customer :

done.

ASE Master Guru :

sounds good

Customer :

ok

Customer :

i am back

Customer :

I have the code.

Customer :

hello!

Customer :

the code does not make any sense to me.

Customer :

hello....need help please....

ASE Master Guru :

what codes did you get?

Customer :

P0724

Customer :

doesn't make sense to me

Customer :

I am looking at the receipt from autozone.

ASE Master Guru :

P0724 indicates a problem with the TCC brake switch. The TCC (torque converter clutch) is located internally within the transmission.

ASE Master Guru :

there is most likely a malfunction at the switch, wiring(open,shorted to power,shorted to ground) or PCM

Customer :

what is the cost to get it repaired? ballpark?

ASE Master Guru :

All depends, If it is the TCC brake switch, which I suspect, somewhere in the neighborhood of 200, parts and labor. that is just a guess without knowing your shops labor rate and exact price of component and whether the switch is the problem

Customer :

what else could it be and could that cause the check engine light to go on?

ASE Master Guru :

with the code you gave me, nothing. Each code is specific to a system, the one you provided indicates a malfunction with the TCC system.

Customer :

that is the code on the receipt.

ASE Master Guru :

if there was a problem with say the EGR you would have a different code number such as a P0404

Customer :

is that the same as the evap module

Customer :

the mechanic said that they are both the same...is that correct?

ASE Master Guru :

no, that was just an example to differentiate between code numbers

ASE Master Guru :

the evap system is different than the EGR system

Customer :

what is the difference?

Customer :

I know that the evap has something to do with the gas fumes, etc....correct?

Customer :

and could the computer be wrong?

ASE Master Guru :

One is for evaporative emissions the other is for exhaust gas recirculation

ASE Master Guru :

Gas fumes....yes

ASE Master Guru :

not likely

Customer :

the mechanic did say that he noticed that the evap module looks new.

Customer :

is that like a 20 dollar part or so?

ASE Master Guru :

given the symptoms and the code you provided, there is a malfunction with the TCC system.

Customer :

symptoms meaning car jerking when changing gears and check engine light on?

ASE Master Guru :

probaly a little more, check with Autozone, they may carry it. The TCC brake switch is part of the brake switch assembly

ASE Master Guru :

yes those symptoms

Customer :

does the trans. need to be taken apart to replace the TCC switch?

Customer :

since you said it is internal

ASE Master Guru :

if the switch is malfunctioning the PCM interpets the data incorrectly and engages/disengages the TCC at the wrong times thus resulting in bucking and jerking being felt by the driver

ASE Master Guru :

no, it is part of the brake light switch/stop lamp switch located under the dash attached to the brake pedal arm

Customer :

so the TCC affects the trans, and not inside of it correct?

ASE Master Guru :

the TCC brake switch is not internal and it does affect trans operation

Customer :

so how much would that costs to change the TCC switch.....200 or so?

Customer :

can you send me a diagram of where the TCC switch is located please?

ASE Master Guru :

yes

ASE Master Guru :

i do not have diagram available

Customer :

where could I find one?

ASE Master Guru :

Possibly AutoZone they are able to print diagrams

Customer :

where is it located on the 03 impala?

ASE Master Guru :

it is part of the brake light switch/stop lamp switch located under the dash attached to the brake pedal arm

Customer :

ok

Customer :

anything else could it be?

ASE Master Guru :

yes, switch, wiring(open,shorted to power,shorted to ground) or PCM make sure to check all fuses as well

Customer :

what is the PCM, the computer?

ASE Master Guru :

Powertrain Control Module, yes the computer

Customer :

so the computer may be it as well????

Customer :

and would the TCC switch trigger the check engine light?

ASE Master Guru :

as i have already stated twice, yes the computer could be the problem, or the switch or the wiring (an open,shorted to power,shorted to ground wire) and yes it will trip the check engine light

Customer :

ok

Customer :

can i get a printout of this conversation?

ASE Master Guru :

I not sure, my screen looks different than yours

Customer :

ok

ASE Master Guru :

try right clicking and copy/paste into word