GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

How can I hook up the third brake light on my camper shell

How can I hook up the third brake light on my camper shell on my 2012 1500?
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed

One option Is to find the light blue wire to the bundle of wires taped by the brake switch. Then run that back out of the cab to the rear and to the cap.
Second is to piggly back the brake signal in the rear lights. Is there a light blue wire in the junction block at the rear for the box lights?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Only turn signals in rear brake lights. This is a new truck. It has the brake control built in, ans I did not want to cut into the wires. Is there a way to do this in the fuse panel?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can't I hook into the fuse that goes to the rear cab bake light? I tested the fuse and it seems to be hot all of the time....why?

Even with the factory trailer brake there is a blunt cut wire for the center high mount light under the dash. That is the safest place to splice in, Now if you want to use a fuse tap on the CHMSL fuse # XXXXX then that will work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do you mean under the hood?
yes, that fuse is under the hood, then the wire it feeds comes back into the cab.
that is the only place outside of the cab for this proper CHMSL signal.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, I will tell the mechanic to try that.
Is there more I can get for you?