Chevy expert
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience ase cetified tech shop owner

My S10 truck has key stuck in ignition and it is locked up.

Customer Question

My S10 truck has key stuck in ignition and it is locked up. Can't turn key, remove key, or turn steering wheel. This happened before and we changed out the ignition (a few months ago - truck driven very little since then) . Now it's same truck, different ignition and different key but same problem.  We were just moving it in driveway.  It started fine, moved it, turned off key, but it wouldn't come out of ignition.  It is now parked behind my daughter's car and neither can be moved!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

IT sounds to me like you have a bad new ignition lock cylinder. This should be under warranty. If the problem continues after replacing the ignition lock cylinder again (and ignition key), then the problem is going to be in the steering column and the steering column will need to be replaced.

I hope this helps!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Chevy expert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. This has a faulty ignition lock cylinder and will need to be replaced.
Ignition Lock Cylinder

This article updated with TSB 02-02-35-001.

IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER REPLACEMENT - ON VEHICLE

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Caution: This vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause the following conditions:
  • Air bag deployment
  • Personal injury
  • Unnecessary SIR system repairs

In order to avoid the above conditions, observe the following guidelines:

• Refer to SIR Component Views in order to determine if you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring.
  • If you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, disable the SIR system.
  1. Disable the SIR system. See: Air Bag(s) Arming and Disarming\Service and Repair\Disabling the SIR System
  2. Lower the hush and knee bolster. See: Restraint Systems\Knee Diverter\Service and Repair

1. Remove the screws that retain the lower steering column trim cover to the steering column.
  2. Remove the lower steering column trim cover by tilting the trim cover down and slide it back in order to disengage the locking tabs.
  3. Remove the screws that retain the upper steering column trim cover to the steering column.

1. With the key installed, turn the key to the RUN position.
  2. Gently lift the upper trim cover up so that you may install an allen wrench into the hole on top of the lock cylinder housing. Push down on the allen wrench to release the tab on the lock cylinder inside the lock cylinder housing.

1. Slide the lock cylinder out of the lock cylinder housing.

Installation Procedure

1. Align the upper steering column trim cover.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

1. Install the screws that retain the upper steering column trim cover to the steering column. Tighten the upper steering column trim cover retaining screws to 1.4 Nm (12 in. lbs.)

1. Install the key into the lock cylinder.

Important: The gears between the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing must be in the correct position. Failure to do so will cause a misalignment of the gears in the ignition switch and the lock cylinder houseing, which may result in a NO START or BATTERY DRAIN.

1. Use a screwdriver to rotate the lock cylinder housing gear clockwise to the start position, allowing it to spring return into the RUN position.

1. Align the lock cylinder and install into the lock cylinder housing.
  2. Install the lower steering column trim cover.
  3. Install the screws that retain the lower steering column trim cover to the steering column. Tighten the lower steering column trim cover retaining screws to 6 Nm (53 in. lbs)
  4. Install the steering wheel.
  5. Install the hush and knee bolster. See: Restraint Systems\Knee Diverter\Service and Repair
  6. Enable the SIR system. See: Air Bag(s) Arming and Disarming\Service and Repair\Enabling the SIR System
  7. Connect the negative battery cable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your instructions are great, however; I'm not sure of the diagnosis. We had just replaced the transmission (used from salvage yard) prior to it happening the first time. Once it was installed we drove it around and it ran perfectly. When we got it back home and turned it off the key would not come out. The steering wheel would not turn and the we could not change from Park. After the ignition was changed the truck was used a few times without any problems and then it happened again. My concern is if you think the transmission has something to do with this problem or do you still think it's a faulty ignition lock cylinder? We paid alot of money to a mechanic to do it the first time and can't afford to pay another one to fix it again. :(
Test for 12v at the CLSTR fuse in the IP fuse block. Test for 12v at the Pink wire, pin F at the shifter assembly park switch. Test for 12v at the Yellow wire, pin C at the shifter assembly park switch. If voltage is low at the fuse, replace the ignition switch. If OK at the fuse and OK at the Pink wire, but low voltage is found on the Yellow wire, replace the transmission shift assembly,,The park switch is part of the shifter assembly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The AllData references are not accesible without a password XXXXX I am unable to view them.
Tell me which items you want to view and I will send them to you that's no problem but you need to do the testing on the park switch first
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

These are your previous instructions that require AllData, which include removing the steering wheel?
  4. Install the steering wheel.
  7. Connect the negative battery cable.
The Park switch testing is over my head, I don't even know where to find it. A diagram would be helpful.
Test for 12v at the CLSTR fuse in the IP fuse block. Test for 12v at the Pink wire, pin F at the shifter assembly park switch. check the fuse first and tell me what you find
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30 yrs experience ase cetified tech shop owner
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, the testing part is too advanced for me. I guess I'm going to have to hire a Mechanic. Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cannot replace the ignition cylinder lock because the key won't turn to "run" position. I don't know where to find the shifter assembly park switch. I found the fuse panel.