Pete, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Chevrolet S10: how can i remove the passlock in my 2000 chevy

how can i remove the passlock in my 2000 chevy s10
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Pete :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.I will try and assist you today with your question.Please don't click on accept unless you feel satisfied with my assistance here.

Pete :

Are you having security/passlock issues on this vehicle or are you trying to remove a certain component for replacement?

Pete :

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete!

Customer:

hello i have a 2000 s10 and it wont start

Customer:

i believe is the passlock I tried resetting the code but nothing so far

Pete :

Is the security light flashing on the dash at all or staying on all the time with the key on or after trying to start the engine and releasing the key?

Customer:

is there a way to remove it

Customer:

stays on

Pete :

The passlock system cannot be removed from this vehicle as this will disable the starting.

Customer:

ok

Pete :

I will post the relearn here for this system,if it is not the relearn you had done then I would do this relean,give me one minute to get it.

Customer:

options besides paying the 800.00 dollars in the dealer

Customer:

i did the relearn already like 10 times

Pete :

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to
CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6. Start the engine,it should start and run.

Customer:

that's the one i did

Pete :

If this is the relearn you have already done and it didnt correct the fault then there is a theft component on the vehicle at fault and the fault codes need checked to then diagnose and replace the affected part.

Pete :

I believe there is another option besides the dealer

Customer:

ok which one

Pete :

http://newrockies.com/

Pete :

The website above sells a kit to bypass the security components in the vehicle,usually less then $200 and comes wiht do it yourself instructions as well as support if needed.

Customer:

what should i look for in there

Customer:

oh ok , so i can't remove it but i can bypass it

Customer:

do you know how to bypass it

Pete :

You can click on the

Customer:

ok so bypassing the system hopefully will take care of the problem

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Click on the pro vats bypass to order this by pass kit,it will come with the instruction on how to by pass this system that you can do yourself.Or have a shop install this kit.This shoulkd correct the fault you have here.
Pete, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 14 years GM dealer Technician.