Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Chevrolet: I have a 2004 Cavalier 2.2 Eco/tech DOHC. I need

I have a 2004 Cavalier 2.2 Eco/tech DOHC. I need to replace my water pump & timing chain. I need all alignment marks for the timing chain and the water pump chain. I need clylinder head torque and the number of hours it will take for shop time. Thank you
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

1. Install the balance shaft drive sprocket.

Important: If the balance shafts are not properly timed to the engine, the engine may vibrate or make noise.

2. Install the balance shaft drive chain with the colored links lined up on with the marks on the balance shaft drive sprockets and the crankshaft sprocket. There are three colored links on the chain. Two links are of matching colors, and one link is of a unique color. Use the following procedure to line up the links with the sprockets.

Orient the chain so that the colored links are visable.

3. Place the uniquely colored link (1) so that it lines up with the timing mark on the intake side balance shaft sprocket.

4. Working clockwise around the chain, place the first matching colored link (2) in line with the timing mark on the crankshaft drive sprocket. (approximately 6 o'clock position on the crank sprocket)

5. Place the chain (3) on the water pump drive sprocket. The alignment is not critical.

6. Align the last matching colored link (4) with the timing mark on the exhaust side balance shaft drive sprocket.

Timing chain is installed as shown below with colored chain links lining up with marks on cam and crank sprocketa.

Cylinder head bolts should be torqued to 22 ft lb. then turned an additional 155 degrees.

Labor time for replacement of the water pump and timing chain should be 6.5 hours.