kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q

how do i remove the ignition lock cylinder on a 1997 chevy cavalier? Cant find the

how do i remove the ignition lock cylinder on a 1997 chevy cavalier? Can't find the release button!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.

kalamykid :

here is a youtube video that will show you how to replace the lock cylinder.

kalamykid :

It will show you exaclty where the reliese button is so you can remove the cylinder.

kalamykid :

the button you are looking for is on the top of the lock cylinder housing, under the plastic cover.

kalamykid :

YOu have to remove the lower part of the cover behind the steering wheel, then lift up on the top part of the cover. There will be two small bolts that hold the top cover tot he lock cylinder housing that will have to come off first, then lift the top cover up and there is a metal bytton that has to be pushed down as you turn the ignition switch to the run position. Then you will fell the button drop just a little bit and the cylinder will come out of the housing.

Customer:

I removed both the top and the lower plastic covers; that was easy. However, access to the top of the cylinder housing is partially blocked by the wiper lever assembly. Even so, I can see the top and there does not appear to be any hole in which I can insert the end of a paper clip. I will look further.

kalamykid :

did you watch the you tube vidio I sent you a link for?

Customer:

My father-in-law was unable to completely turn back his key to remove it. So it stayed in the Accessory position (one click back from run) and drained his battery. In the process of searching for the release button, I noticed a large, spring loaded button on the front of the lock cylinder housing. When I pulled back on it, I was then able to completely rotate the ignition back to the off position and remove the key. Since this "spring loaded button" seems to be the source of his problem, will it be replaced when I get the new ignition lock cylinder, or is this a different problem. And yes I did look at the video, the key section was not the best but I get the idea.

kalamykid :

the only large spring in the coumn is for the tilt and no it wil not come with the new lock cylinder.

kalamykid :

If the key woudl not tuen all the way back to the off position, then you have a problem with the shift interlock system.

Customer:

His cavalier does not have a tilt steering wheel. This is a "spring loaded" button (silver on top of blue) that is located on the front of the ignition lock cylinder assembly. I suspect it is supposed to move in and out as you turn the key because pulling it further out allowed me to turn the ignition fully back and remove the key. If I do NOT pull on it, the key will not turn completely back and it remains stuck in the accessory position.

kalamykid :

Then that woudl be the slide bar lock spring for the steering column lock. this lock will keep the steering wheel from turning when the key is removed.

kalamykid :

the lock bar may have a bur on the end of it and not be able to slide all the way into the gove of the steering column anymore.

Customer:

Sounds like I just need to take the car to the chevy dealer and let them figure this out. This is way beyond my pay grade.

kalamykid :

Most often you have to replace the steering column with a good used one.This will be much cheaper then going to the dealer.

kalamykid :

YOu can usualy get a good column from an auto salvage yard for around $75.00-$125.00

kalamykid :

Then just swap the lock cylinder out with the one out of your old column so you still only have one key.

Customer:

My father-in-law is 88 years old. I can't afford to screw this up so it's off to the dealer. It may be more expensive, but they know more about this that I do and I can't afford my wife to get pissed if I screw it up.

kalamykid :

i will be happy to help you do the swap. If you can get as far as you have with the lock cylinder, then you can swap out the column.

kalamykid :

there are only 4 nuts, and 7-10 bolts to remove to get the old one out.

Customer:

Thanks anyway. But I think it's better if I let me ego take a back seat.

kalamykid :

Itis your call, but i will be ahppy to help you locate a column as well as help you do the swap.

kalamykid :

You can usualy get a good deal on a used column on ebay, and they will ship the column right to your door.

Customer:

Appreciate the offer, but this one is over my head.

kalamykid :

I promise you this is any easy thing to do.

kalamykid :

If you take it to the dealer they will charge you almost $1000.00 for repairuing this.

Customer:

I'll explain it to my father-in-law, but knowing him he will rather pony up the money to be sure it gets done right. If he changes his mind, I'll get back with you.

kalamykid :

That sounds like a plan. there woudl not be any further charges to your account here on just answer if you want me to help you swap the column.

kalamykid :

If you want to you can even swap out the straight coolumn for a tilt one, if I can find you for you. it is just the same as far as swaping it out, and you woudl not need to get anything more to do the swap. this woudl give him better access to the car if it had a tilt column.

kalamykid :

just wanted to give you the option of what can be done.

Customer:

thanks. signing off.

Customer:

understood

kalamykid :

You are very welcome.

kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q