Chevy expert
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience ase cetified tech shop owner
22989858

Chevrolet Impala: R & R air conditioning evaporator 2001 I

R & R air conditioning evaporator 2001 Impala
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chevy expert replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.This is a fairly time consuming job Here are the procedures as outlined in the service Manual look them over if you have any questions and all feel free to ask me all be here as long as it takes to solve your problem so please reply back to me right here . Thank you very much, it's a pleasure working with you

Service and Repair

HVAC MODULE ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT

TOOLS REQUIRED
J 39400-A Halogen Leak Detector

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Recover the refrigerant. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging.
  2. Remove the left fender diagonal brace.
  3. Remove the cross vehicle brace.
  4. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in Cooling System.
  5. Disconnect the A/C lines at the evaporator block fitting.
  6. Disconnect the heater hoses at the heater core.
  7. Remove the cross vehicle beam.
  8. Disconnect the vacuum hoses from the HVAC control module.
  9. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the HVAC control module.
  10. Disconnect the IP wiring harness from the HVAC control module retainers and position the IP wiring harness to the floor.
  11. Remove the evaporator drain elbow.

1. Remove the HVAC control module to dash nuts.
  2. Perform the following steps to remove the HVAC control module.
13.1.Pull the HVAC control module rearward to disengage the mounting studs from the dash panel.
13.2.Position aside the dash insulator pad from the HVAC control module recirculation opening.
13.3.Roll the HVAC control module downward and rearward to disconnect the heater core outlet cover from the rear floor air outlet duct.
13.4.Remove the HVAC control module.

1. Remove and discard all of the outer HVAC control module seals (1, 2, 3).

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install new outer HVAC control module seals (1, 2, 3).

IMPORTANT: When installing the HVAC control module, ensure dash insulator pad cut-outs and HVAC seals, studs, and drain align and seal properly to dash panel.

1. Perform the following steps to install the HVAC control module into the vehicle.
2.1.Align the HVAC control module heater core outlet cover to the rear floor air outlet duct.
2.2.Roll the HVAC control module forward and upward and align the dash insulator pad to the HVAC control module recirculation opening.
2.3.Align the HVAC control module mounting studs and drain to seat against the dash panel.

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the HVAC control module to dash nuts.

Tighten
Tighten the HVAC control module nuts to 10 N.m (89 lb in) .

1. Install the evaporator drain elbow.
  2. Position the IP wiring harness to the HVAC control module and secure in the harness retainers.
  3. Connect the electrical connectors to the HVAC control module.
  4. Connect the vacuum hoses to the HVAC control module.
  5. Install the cross vehicle beam.
  6. Connect the heater hoses at the heater core.
  7. Install the A/C lines at the evaporator block fitting.
  8. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in Cooling System.
  9. Install the cross vehicle brace.
  10. Install the left fender diagonal brace.
  11. Evacuate and recharge the A/C system. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging.
  12. Leak test the fillings of the component using J 39400-A.

Evaporator Core Replacement

Air Conditioning Evaporator Core Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the HVAC module assembly.
  2. Remove all of the outer HVAC module assembly seals.
  3. Remove the recirculation housing from the HVAC module assembly.
  4. Release the retaining clip to the defroster actuator from the HVAC module assembly.
  5. Remove the defroster actuator.
  6. Remove the HVAC module assembly case upper screws.

1. Separate the HVAC module assembly case (1).

1. Remove the HVAC module assembly seal (2) from the lower module case (1).

1. Remove the evaporator core.
  2. Remove the water core filter from the evaporator.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the water core filter to the evaporator.

1. Install a new side seal to the evaporator core.

1. Install a new upper seal to the evaporator core.

1. Install two new lower seals to the evaporator core.

1. Install the HVAC module assembly seal (2) to the lower module case (1).

1. Install the evaporator core into the HVAC module assembly lower case.

1. Align the guide (1) and attach the upper and lower HVAC module assembly case.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

1. Install the HVAC module assembly upper screws.

Tighten
Tighten the HVAC module assembly upper screws to 1.5 Nm (13 lb in).

1. Install the defroster actuator to the HVAC module assembly.
  2. Install the defroster actuator.
  3. Install the recirculation housing to the HVAC module assembly.

Tighten
Tighten the recirculation housing screws to 1.5 Nm (13 lb in).

1. Install the HVAC module assembly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is the L diagonal brace and cross vehicle brace ?
There are two braces near the strut tower under the hood These will be in your way and need to be Removed . One runs across from one strut to the other In the other bracket is a simple diagonal coming off of that one
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30 yrs experience ase cetified tech shop owner