GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Duramax truck shut off & wont re-start sometimes

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

Have we been talking about this before?

Did you do any testing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No we have not.

I was pulling in the driveway the other day and my truck shut off, at first it would not re start and then about 1 hr later it started back up like nothing was wrong.

Would you like to see a video?
Honestly, this is very common on these and I have my doubts it will help.
So 2 options that I see. First is a bad filter head allowing it to loose prime.
Try pumping the filter up till it gets stiff and see if that does anything.

Second is injectors.
Find the 2 fuel lines on the rear drivers side valve cover. Take the smaller one off and attach your hose to the metal pipe coming from the engine. Put the other end into the container and run the engine to fill that line. Then shut it off and remove the IGN 1 relay from beside the starter relay. empty out the container and keep the line full. Crank the engine for 15 seconds fully and measure the amount of fuel that comes out of that line. More than 40cc means the injectors have failed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The engine will not crank at all. The problem is electrical.

Also the glow plug light does not come on either when this is happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pixaPDiUlY
Does the starter solenoid even click?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it does not. When I turn the key to start it, nothing clicks, makes any noise or anything.

Sometimes the truck will start back up right away and sometimes it has to sit for a few hrs.
Do you have a test light?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I do not have the truck right now.

What did you want me to check?
Ok the starter is a small wire on a small stud. Can you I test to see if there is power on that wire with the key held in the start position?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The engine also misses as well and I think that may have something to do with it too.

I probably won't have the truck until tomorrow. Can I get back to you?
Possibly related.

Yes you can get back to me directly, simply bookmark this page as a favorite and reply to it. We can chat as long as it takes, even after accepting an answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok..so if I accept this now, we can still talk on here?
absolutely. Accepting does not close anything or prevent you from replying.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you and I will get back in touch with you.
Perfect. I will watch for your reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey..I took the truck to the dealership today to have them put a ECM & TCM on the truck. If they doesn't do the trick and I get the truck back I'll let you know...thank you
Ok.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had the dealer put the underhood fuse box in and that didn't fix the problem. Today when I picked it up and it shut off on me the ABS & BRAKE light came on and the DIC said "service brake system".

The tech at the dealer told me that when the truck shuts off and won't re-start, he can't communicate with the truck using the Tech 2. Does that mean that the databus is down?
Either the data bus is down or the ground for the scan tool is bad, my bet is on the first one with a bad module or wiring.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He said he can communicate when the truck is running fine, but when it shuts off and won't re-start then he can't comunicate.

So a bad module could cause the data bus to crash? Or wiring shorting out somewhere?

When it wouldn't re start today, if I would turn the key to the ON position and the back to the Accessory position, the ABS/BRAKE light, and low fuel light would all dim down and the radio would shutoff. Usually when you turn it to the Accessory position, the ABS/BRAKE light and everything else will go off and the radio will stay on.

When it does that can you try moving the wiring around and see if it comes back?
check for chaffing under the dash and so on. This will be a pain to find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I can check and see that..Do you think its a wiring problem somewhere since it happens very randomly?

If it were a module, do you think it would happen all the time?
I could not even guess what module and wiring depends on many things. Aftermarket devices installed, previous repairs, rodents, water, salt, things like that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok..well ill see what I can do and if I have any more questions Ill get back to you..

Thanks
Sure thing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could bad batteries cause this? Would they cause it to shut off while driving down the road and the engine to miss?
BAd batteries will, and if a plate inside shorts out it will be like nothing is there, but often when it does this, it will not just go after, but anthing is possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks again
My pleasure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When it shut off on me driving friday, the ABS/BRAKE light came on a chimed. Also the "Service brake system" is now on in the DIC. What does it mean when you get the chimes? Now the ABS/BRAKE light is staying on along with "service brake system"

Also before it shut off on me friday when I came to a stop sign and when I was almost at a stop, I felt the brake pedal vibrate like the ABS was trying to work and the "range shift inhibited" showed up in the DIC and the truck went into neutral.
The abs engaging suggests a wheel speed sensor is going out of range. So that could be the rear one in the transfer case or the transmission module to include that system since the rear sensor is read first by the transmission module.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok..I replaced the two sensors up front but I did not do anything to the one on the transfer case.

What do the chimes mean when the lights come on? Are they supposed to do that? One time I was just sitting in the truck not running and no key in the switch and it just randomly chimed twice.
That may be an indication of deeper issues like with the bcm or something. We will
Need a scan tool to diagnose that part when happening.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok..normally if the ABS/BRAKE light come on is it not supposed to chime? Just the lights come on the dash?
There should be a chime when they turn on but to chime with the keys off and nothing touched means a different issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ohh ok I see. Yeah I mean when it chimed that one time, there was nothing going on at all, I was just sitting in the truck thinking lol and it chimed twice.

Also once I noticed that the radio reset itself to 12:00 and the climate control also changed and I didn't unplug the battery either. It did that overnight.
Following that did you have to boost it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean jump start it? If so then no I did not.
The only reason radio would reset because the battery voltage is going well. Let's look at the batteries and make sure they are 100% perfect and up to snuff before we go any further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just load tested them earler and they test fine and the connections are tight.

Sometimes when I remove the key from the switch, it will still chime like there is a key in the switch and I have to re insert the key and turn the switch on and then remove the key and it stops.

Also sometimes when I press the lock button on the doors, there is a 1-3 second hesitation before they actually lock instead of being instant like 95% of the time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to add that when the truck shuts off and won't re start, the daytime running lights will come on.

Also when the gauges oil, fuel default back to zero, the daytime running lights will come on and when the gauges go back to normal the daytime running lights go off and so on.

This happens while the truck is in park.
The body control module control the lights, I wonder maybe we are looking at an issue there.

Is there anything spliced wire in there? Is directly under the steering column.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, nothing has been tampered with there as far as I can see. Would something in the body control module cause the truck to shut off?

Is that related to the starting/running of the truck in any way?
I've seen it prevent starting all the time but I've never seen it causes stalling but it is possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok..well thanks for the info...Seems I have a very odd problem to find
Yes, it's not a simple one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have you ever had a vehicle problem like this before? If so did you find the problem?
With these problems you can only take a step back and pick one issue then forget about the rest. Concentrate on the one and if all happened at the same time then fix one, fix all.

Also it is common enough that all kinds of strange things is usually a bad ground somewhere.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX me hope lol.
Your welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a BluePoint scanner and when I plug it in, it wont come on at all. When I plug the scanner in, it always powers up and everything is fine. Now when I plug it in, nothing happens, the scanner tells me to connect to vehicle. The scanner works fine in other vehicles.

What would this mean?
is there power to the plug?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I use a test light and see if there is power at any of the connectors?
just the bottom row far right side .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK there is NOT power at the connector.
Replace the CIGAR fuse in the underhood fuse block,.. That powers the plug.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In this video when the truck won't crank. When I turn the switch to the ON position and then once I turn it back to the ACC position, the lights (ABS/.BRAKE/low fuel light) will just dim down instead of going off like they should. They should go off when I turn it back to the ACC position but they just dim down.
The check engine light did not come on when you turned the key on, is that still the case?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it still does not come on and neither does the glow plug light
Take the tilt lever out, pop the bottom trim off and then jump the pink to the red at the igntion switch.
Does it come on then?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Actually this problem happens intermittently, I have been trying for the last 3 hrs for it to shut off and it wont. The engine still will randomly miss though. Right now the truck will start up and run. I have already replaced the ignition switch.
Is there a remote starter installed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No there is not. Nothing aftermarket. Sometimes it will completely shut off while going down the road and another time the engine just stopped cranking when I went to start it. Sometimes it will start right back up and other times it may have to sit for a few hrs.
Is there a rodent nest under the fuse block?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope..I checked that and all the wires around it and I even replaced the fuse block.
OK, when this happens can you test power at the ECM on the pink wires?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok..is there anything else that I should check when this happens?
No, to start with lets check that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok..as soon as I can have that happen, I will check that. It may be a few days but I hope it happens sooner. I will let you know. Thank You
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you repair the splice packs? The one I need to fix in for the grounds. Aren't they just basically a big butt connector?
Yees, that is basically what they are, connect then with another, solder then, how ever you want to you can.