GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

Chevrolet silverado: how to reset anti theft

how to reset anti theft
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Turn the key on, with the engine OFF.Try to start the engine, then release the key to ON, Engine will not start. Watch the security telltale, after about 10 mins, it will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Start the engine .

Customer:

put new motor in turned key will not turn over to start but can jump start at starter.

GM Tech (Cam) :

starter does not operate with the key? If so that is not security that could be neutral switch or wiring

Customer:

where is the security telltale located at are you meaning a security light, already checked neutral switch its fine no juice is going to the starter wire

GM Tech (Cam) :

It usually is the car and lock symbol but the starter is not locked by security so lets look elsewhere.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does the starter relay clic,?

GM Tech (Cam) :

click?

Customer:

no the starter relay does not click

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, one moment while I pull up a schematic. YOu have a test light?

Customer:

yea

GM Tech (Cam) :

Did you remove the neutral safety swtich?

Customer:

no

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, with your test light, find the crank fuse, left dash fuse block. Does it get power with the key in crank?

Customer:

purple wire to starter is not hot when key is turned over in cranked mode

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK you are jumping WAY ahead, with the starter relay not clicking, we need to look at that so can you test the crank fuse for power as I outlined please?

Customer:

is the crank fuse located inside or outside of the vehicle

GM Tech (Cam) :

inside, left dash fuse block

Customer:

no

GM Tech (Cam) :

No power there. OK, at the igntion switch, , yellow wire, does that have power?

Customer:

yes

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK so if there is no power to the crank fuse with the key in crank but there is at that wire then there is a wiring issue between the switch and fuse block.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Did you remvoe the column?

Customer:

no did not remove column

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK jump power to the crank fuse and see if the engine cranks.

Customer:

that is how we have been starting it

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK that means the left fuse block or wiring.

Customer:

do you mean the starter relay could possiably be bad

GM Tech (Cam) :

No, if there is no power to the 10 amp crank fuse when the key is in crank then this is between the igntion switch and the fuse block where the crank fuse is

Customer:

all fusses are good purple wire from starter doesn't have any juice to it

GM Tech (Cam) :

I know, and it will not until you get power to the crank fuse with the key in crank.

GM Tech (Cam) :

the key only operates the relay, power goes into the key, then out through the yellow wire when you have it in crank.

GM Tech (Cam) :

When it goes out, the wiring goes into the back of the left dash fuse block, through the crank fuse and then through the neutral switch.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Then it goes through the relay.

GM Tech (Cam) :

you putting power to the crank fuse in the left dash fuse block and it working means most of the system is ok, and the fact you get power out of the ignition switch in crank isolates this very specifically to the ignition switch wiring and the fuse block, and if you are 100% sure about what you told me then I am 110% sure about this.

Customer:

truck is not with us it is down the road if we have any more questions can i get back on here and ask you or do i have to pay again?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it, and so you know, you can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply. Please don't forget to click accept at some time as that is my only means of compensation for assisting you.

Customer:

ok thank you

GM Tech (Cam) :

MY pleasure.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT If my answer was helpful. You can reopen it at any time by replying to it and I will answer ASAP. PLease keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Be sure to bookmark this page (CTRL D) to reply with results or ask more if you need. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.