Chevy expert
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience ase cetified tech shop owner
22989858

running lights..head light..drl relay in the engine fuse box

Customer Question

My day time running lights will not come on. I have repaleced the 2 head light bulbs. I have replaced the drl relay in the engine fuse box.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chevy expert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.This is very often caused by either faulty relay or a faulty resistor in the day and time running lights . Here's a couple of tests to do let me know what you find , I'll be with you as long as it takes to solve your problem so reply back to me right here . Thank you very much, it's a pleasure working with you ,Locate the Daytime Running Lights relay in the Underhood Electrical Center . Remove the relay. Identify pins 87 and 30. Using a suitable jumper short the corresponding terminal in the UHEC. Check for the DRL to illuminate. If they do not, locate and disconnect the DRL resistor mounted to the outside frame rail, forward of the left front tire and wheel assembly. Short the Gray wire to the Black wire. If the DRL illuminates, reinstall the relay. Replace the resistor and clear the code.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do I use as a jumper here at home
You just need a short piece of wire and jump across those two terminals
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Didn't work.... I may have to go to the local dealership
Did you locate a resistor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I tried to locate it but didn't see it. Whare is on the frame rail?
This is located on the outside of the left front corner of the vehicle on the outside of the frame rail.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Located resistor, shorted the wire. The day time light indicator or drl are not working.
Go back to the jumper wire at the relay using a test light tell me if you have power on The jumper wire itself
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30 yrs experience ase cetified tech shop owner
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't have the equipment. I will have to take the car to the dealership. I will pay for the advice and for your time and quick response to mey questions. Thanks. David
You're very welcome if there's anything else I can do for you please let me know thank you