Doug
Doug, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. 32 years experice
30501653

1997 chevy suburban: crank but wont start.over the last year

Customer Question

I have a 1997 chevy suburban. It won't start. It will crank but won't start.over the last year Or so it does this then if you let it sit fir a whir it would start might not do that for a day or a week then it does it again. Well I need to fix that. The other day I had a fuel leak.. Rotten fuel lines.I ordered new an replaced the lines,the pickup in tank and pump. Drove it for 30 miles got emissions test done .passed. Everything fine drove Bach home.I parked in front of house and hooked my trailer up backed in the driveway and it sputtered and field. Now just cranks and won't start. I ch,anger the crank position sensor did not start. I ha a new distributor with cap and rotor in the garage I bought for my other truck and installed it and still nothing. Please help. Jim
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.

Doug :

Thank you for choosing justanswer.com,I look forward to helping you,Doug

Doug :

Hi Jim we need to check for spark can you pull coil wire, have some one crank engine and see if the coil Sparks

Customer: Any ideas
Customer: Yes give me a few minutes
Doug :

ok

Customer: No
Doug :

No spark ok do you have test light

Customer: No spark
Doug :

Do you have a test light

Customer: Is this thing working
Customer: Hello
Doug :

Are you not getting my mesage

Customer: No spark
Doug :

hello

Customer: No spark
Customer: If you are typing I can't see response. Can I call you
Doug :

no

Doug :

Hello

Customer: Ok I can go get a test light but I have a multi meter
Doug :

Please check for power at coil back probe pink wire with key on should have 12 volts with ohm meter

Customer: Ok
Doug :

Also I reported a technical error we we could not communicate

Customer: No voltage
Doug :

Was key on

Customer: No voltage
Doug :

Hello

Customer: Yes
Customer: Key was on
Doug :

we have a terrible connect tion

Customer: Can I call
Customer: .
Doug :

under hood fuse block with key on can you check PCM 1 and CM 2 fuses also look for ING fuse and check

Doug :

Sorry no # XXXXX call

Customer: Ok
Doug :

Did you get mesage on fuse check

Customer: What is PCM 1. And cm 2. I don't see them in booking 1 and 2 good
Doug :

Those are the Pcm fuses under hood, Also please check ING A ING B under hood

Doug :

all test with key on

Customer: What is pcm1 and cm 2 I did not see in book. Ing 1 and 2 good
Doug :

Hello

Customer: Hello
Doug :

Pleases use volt ohm meter with key on to check for power at ING 1 and to for power

Doug :

And ING 2

Customer: Doug I got a better ground andvthe pink wire is hot
Customer: I can't see your reply again
Doug :

OK can you get a test light at this point to run more test

Customer: I will have to go buy one can I get back with you
Doug :

Yes just come back to this page and leave me a note , hopefully by then IS will have system running better

Customer: Thanks
Customer: Should I get a coil when I am out
Doug :

Welcome please dont accept until we have you running

Doug :

Might need might not ask them if you can return

Customer: Will do
Doug :

OK talk with you in a while

Customer: Ok I M back
Customer: Doug
Doug :

Hi please take test light and back probe white wire at coil make sure we are hooked to a good ground and have some one crank over engine the light should flash

Customer:

Hi doug when I got back you were signed off line and now I am at work.Maybe we can pick this up tomorrow Jim

Doug :

Hi Jim when ever your ready to start let me know , Doug

Customer: Sorry I had to run for parts and just got hung up .sorry I could not get back to you.
Customer: SuburbanOk to this point I installed a new coil, ignition control module, coolant temp sensor, throttle position sensor, map sensor, crank position sensor, can position sensor, new distributor, cap, rotor,  I really don't know what is left any ideas. I have to work tonight cantbget back to this till tomorrow afternoon
Customer: Do you think it could be the computer?
Doug :

Hi jim sorry on this end, we seem not to be able to catch up at the same time, Before we throw any more parts at this lets try to get a solid answer, earelier in our chck points I asked if you would check for blinking power at white wire on coil,with tsest light hooked to perfect ground back probe white wire at coil crank over engine and see if light blinks,also please dubel check for power at pink wire at coil, if you have power and blinking power, at that ponit stop and send me that both test are good, if you donot have blinking power please go to crank position sensor and chek the the pink wire for power with key in run position, if you hace power please take out crank possition sensor look at the internal end of it for any sratch marks and the let me know,at this point this job has become a mission to me to resolve it and get you running,please rember you are my hands eyes and

Doug :

Brain

Doug :

Jim I'm really sorry for the miss spelling, I hit the wrong button please do the test as described and let me know the results, if you don't understand any test please ask, Doug

Doug :

To you question yes it can be PCM [ computer ] but they do not fail very often, Doug

Customer: I did Co the pink wire on the craank sensor. It was good and if I in plug it and really plug it in with key on you can hear something power up on top on engineering I did not have anyone to crank car today to check white wire. It did start once ran for a minute and died if that helps. Jim
Doug :

Ok Jim please let me know on white wire, Doug

Doug :

Jim if white wire does not blink please recheck pink wire at coil for power with key on, Thanks Doug

Customer: Doug I guess this site is messed up. I am glad it's back up now. Ok pink wire to coil I hot but no power to white when you crank the ignition. Checked and rechecked
Customer: Suburban.  .I guess the site was down last night.Ok to this point I installed a new coil, ignition control module, coolant temp sensor, throttle position sensor, map sensor, crank position sensor, can position sensor, new distributor, cap, rotor,  Tested wires to coil Pink is hot when the ign is on. Bt white wire does not blink when cranking. I really don't know what is left any ideas.  I am going out of town for a couple days and can continue when I get back.  any thoughts ?Don't worry I will pay you for your time.  Thanks. Jim
Doug :

Jim very sorry for the site issues just now able to get on and work ,i have received your notes and will read threw and send you a game plan in a Little bit, Doug

Doug :

Jim, Do you have a Alarm system on your Suburban ? if you do please let me know,First step check for power at coil pink wire for power while cranking over engine, we are checking to see if we are losing power in crank position of ignition switch, If you do not have power please let me know, and we will run test on Ign. switch , if you do have power while cranking Engine , In a easy area to repair please cut the solid white wire at coil, we are checking for a shorted tach or wire, then see if engine will start, Then let me no results please Doug

Doug :

Jim, did you get a chance to run test. Doug

Customer:

No Alarm

Customer:

No AlarmTested wires to coil Pink is hot when the ign is on. Bt white wire does not blink when cranking.

Customer:

No Alarm

Customer:

Doug ignore last couple post I am still out of town I will be back friday after noon and will try to test Thanks for your Help and understanding

Doug :

NO problem , Doug

Customer: Doug I cut white wire at coil and it started now what. : )
Doug :

OK it will run fine this way, but the the Tach will not work ,if you want to repair we will need to pull out insurment cluster and do a couple test , most of the time it is a bad tach , but all so can be a shorted wire, Doug

Customer: Wow that sounds like a pain will it not effect how the car runs with timing or tps or anything? On another note I might have distributor a tooth off when I put the light on it it's like a inch away and turning distributor does not change anything
Customer: Ok
Customer: Does it sound like a tooth off?
Doug :

Just now reading hold please

Doug :

Will not affect the way it runs, timing light will not read right, you have to set timming with a Tech 2 scaner

Doug :

will not affct tps or any other part

Doug :

read deeper into your notes you will need to have timming set and crank cam corolation set, this all needs to be done with scan tool

Customer: No it ran fine but in was trying to set timing. Old school I guess. guess I need take it to have it fine tuned timing?
Customer: Ok so what will a new tach Co
Customer: Or should I just forget abou it
Customer: Also would the tach problem cause a power drain ? I have had a power drain for over a year that kills a battery in a week if it sits?
Customer: I have replaced alt,starter checked everything for a drain Lites radio elct
Doug :

what you have to do with tach is take it to Chev they will send in the whole instrument cluster and rebuild it, cost 375.00,as far as timing you are stuck ,you will have to pay a shop, cost 80.00,as far as drain on battery,I would first question the battery ability to hold long term charge ,if not the battery it will be a small draw in the system very hard to find, they sell a tool at the parts store that you hook between the battery ground and ground wire that will show load AMPS you are allowed 0.05 amp draw, if above that I would pull one fuse at a time until draw goes away, also when you hook up tester it will read 1.5 AMPS until PCM goes in to sleep mode, then will fall to 0.05 or less, the tach will not cause drain battery, Doug

Doug :

Jim I also want to Say I'm sorry on response time, Doug

Doug :

Hey Jim, is there any thing else I can do for you, Doug

Customer: Well I just went out and it would not start. When my wife gets back hame I will check to see if the pink wire has power when cranking. This just gets real frustrating. Thanks for your help. Jim
Doug :

I thought we were good

Doug :

Jim lets also take a close look at the wires were they hook to coil wiggle and pull, checking for bad connection

Doug :

Please lt me know ,Doug

Customer: Ok Dougi checked for power at coil pink wire nothing with switch on. I had my wife turn ignition off/ on again it had power. It did not loose power when cranking
Doug :

Jim I know this seems redundant but can you check for bilking power at white wire on coil, also your last note said no power pink wire key on then you did have power, Can you run a hot wire from battery to coil pink wire splice together and see it will run , Doug

Customer: Ok
Doug :

Let Me know Doug

Customer: Ok I jumped pink to bat still no start. Also white wire blinked 1 time while cranking. Connected off coil. Remember you had me cut white wire
Doug :

Now we need to test for blinking power at the white wire with black stripe at ignition module while cranking engine, also check for power at pink wire of ignition module with key on and then check for ground at the black wire with white stripe for ground,pleas do these test with wires disconnected from coil, Thanks Doug

Doug :

Jim the test I sent you at 5:19 yesterday, I want to make sure for this test you back probe wires right at ignition module, looking for open in wiring, this is a very important test please take your time, Doug

Doug :

Hi Jim did you get a chance to run test, Doug

Customer: Doug the solid white wire at the ignition control module blinks while cranking .pink wire hot with key on
Customer: Ground good
Customer: Pink wire at coil is hot no response from the other two
Doug :

Awesome, Jim some where between the module and coil we have a bad connection, normally it is right at the connector that plugs in to the coil but it can be at module , what we need to do at this point is find it there is only about 2 foot of wire to test ,you can do this with your volt meter on ohms setting, one end into the white wire and test the other end if open back probe up the wire until you find the open in circuit

Doug :

Jim one more thing when you find short if it is within 6" of pig tail you can buy replacement coil/ module connectors at your local parts store

Doug :

They come with all you need less tools, Doug

Customer: Ok I will check it out Friday when I get back in town. Thanks for barring with me.
Doug :

No problem , Doug

Doug :

Hey Jim did we find the open wire, Doug

Customer: No and I am very frustrated. I went and changed both connectors and nothing I even just changed the ignition switch and nothing
Doug :

hi JIm

Customer: Pink wire with key on at coil pink is hot. Nothing on the others while cranking at coil connector. At the ignition control module pink hot. Black with white stripe blinks while cranking
Customer: Hi Doug
Doug :

When you did test you had flashing power at module but not at coil the wire has to be broke in between the to if you would run jumper wire from white wire at module to white wire at coil, Doug

Customer: I don't have anything on white anywhere now.
Doug :

Not even at module

Doug :

Jim if the blinking power is coming and going we need to look at CPS can you pull it out and inspect the engine side of it for scratches, or damage, Doug

Customer: T
Doug :

Possible touching crank reluctor

Customer: Crank position sensor?
Doug :

Yes

Customer: Give me a few minutes
Doug :

I Will wait for you

Customer: No marks on it
Doug :

OK can you go back to module first put back CPS , disconcert wires at coil and test for blink power at module

Customer: I don't know wHats up with this site but on both my computers I can't get through
Doug :

can you read this

Doug :

Jim are you there

Customer:

ok i see you now

Customer:

i cant see anything befoe 6:33

Doug :

OK please put back crank position sensor and disconnect wire from coil and retest for blinking power at ignition module

Customer:

ok

Customer:

ok now the white wire blinks and the black with white stripe does nothing

Customer:

at coil pink is hot with key on nothing blinks while cranking

Doug :

Black wire white stripe is ground

Customer:

ok

Doug :

But the white wire blinks at module

Customer:

yes

Doug :

Did' nt you say you replace module

Customer:

yes

Doug :

If you are getting blinking power at white wire at module , this means CPS OK and PCM ok , at module can you test blinking power at white wire with black tracer please

Customer:

clairify black tracer

Doug :

Black stripe

Doug :

Sorry

Customer:

you want me to use black tracer as my ground? correct?

Doug :

No hook test light to ground and back probe white wire with black stripe at module for blinking power when cranking engine

Customer:

nothing

Doug :

But the white wire at module blinks

Customer:

yes

Doug :

Do you have a gun

Customer:

to shoot my self

Customer:

i have a match

Doug :

No the car silly

Doug :

Do you have old module

Customer:

i dont think i will look

Doug :

K

Customer:

yes found it

Doug :

Hold on I screwed up, Hook test light to power and back probe white wire with black stripe check for blinking power, with you do this I will get my Gun

Doug :

At module

Customer:

nothing

Doug :

OK please plug in old module no need to bolt up gas its on ground , and see if it has spark

Doug :

Has its own ground

Customer:

no spark

Doug :

when you tested for blinking power did you have conector hooked to coil

Customer:

no

Doug :

Please disconect and try a

Doug :

Again

Customer:

it was not connected

Doug :

And you are teasting right at module

Customer:

the one bolted to coil

Doug :

can we please check right at module

Customer:

the ignition control module bolts to side of coil bracket on this truck

Doug :

Yep

Customer:

thats the wire commector we have been testing do you want the coil connecter plugged up for these test you told me to unplug it befor

Doug :

Unpluged

Customer:

thats howi have tested everything

Doug :

This doe not make sense at all this is a real simple system

Doug :

OK lets unplug wire from module and pull back harness cut white wire with black stripe and hook a jumper wire to it and put it in coil all by itself and also run hot wire to coil by it self and plug it in make sure you plug module back in

Doug :

Jim Did you replace connector at module

Customer:

then what do i plig mogule back in or what am i testing yes i replaced connector on coil amd module

Customer:

i only have 15 minutes then i have to leave for work i will jump this out now

Doug :

Once you have put on jumper wire at module plug module back in we will not hook up coil connector we are going to try to run on jumper wires

Doug :

OK

Customer:

nothing wont start

Customer:

i think i have to stop here for today i cant be late for work if byou think of somthing else let me know i will try tomorrow thanks again Doug for yoyr help

Doug :

I becoming cocerend that the drive in pcm is weak I will resarch doug

Customer:

WHAT IS PCM COMPUTER

Doug :

Yes

Doug :

I wish you lived in indy

Doug :

I would fix this for free

Customer:

thanks i do appricate your help

Doug :

Welcome

Doug :

IF you can please print wiring diagram, Starting fresh, with coil disconected all test at ignition module Pink power, black with white stripe ground, white and white with black stripe blinking power with test light hooked to Battery possitve

Doug :

Page two

Doug :

Please print all three of thes put in order, and start from step one you will want to hook back up all wires before you start, Doug

Doug :

Jim I hope you get this, I think you are going to have to relist this question, just ask for me and I will respond , question has timed out

Customer: Ok thanks
Customer: How do I do it so I get you. Your name does not come up ?
Doug, ASE Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech. 32 years experice
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jim Thank you so much for the huge bonus , can you tell me the end resolution , Doug
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
White wire with black stripe broken inside harness . Thanks for all your help I would still be buying parts for no reason if you didn't hook me up with that trouble shooting diagram . I told you I would take care of you and I ment it . I wish I could do more but I spent all my money on un needed parts. thanks for all your time and understanding.

But I still was disappointed with all the problems with the website not loading . Well I'll let you get back to your family. Thanks Jim keglovich mount airy md
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doug one more thing do you do anything with the 1997 chevy 6.5 diesel. I will be installing a new turbo on it .if I have questions do you deal with turbo diesels ? Thanks. Jim
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Jim awesome on your suburban , I'm surprised you did not shoot it,as far as Turbo I can help, as far as turbo Installation , my drive ability is not at the highest level on diesel engine , Doug
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just a factory replacement. I just don't know anything about diesel's thanks again. Jim
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Jim It is a fairly easy repair, Doug