Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LTZ: 08 duramax codes P2463 P2033

'08 duramax codes P2463 P2033 diesel particular filter and exhaust temp. How do I clear
the check engine light. Had a loose muffler, tightened it but still get codes.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

So you have already cleared the codes but they came back?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes then truck goes to engine low power mode
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

The P2463 shows that the computer has detected an excessive amount of soot in the dpf and has inhibited regeneration. The other code is a symptom of this.

Your only option is to take it to the dealer, once it gets to the point that it goes to reduced power, it will not clean itself and there can be irreversible damage to the dpf.

Here is some of the factory info related to your code.

The "CLEAN EXHAUST FILTER SEE OWNERS MANUAL NOW", message will appear on the driver information center (DIC) when a DPF regeneration is required. This message is displayed to NOTIFY the DRIVER that the status of the vehicle has changed and ACTION is required by the DRIVER to correct the condition. The message is not a onetime display and will occur periodically through the lifetime of the vehicle when a DPF regeneration is required based on engine run time, fuel consumed and distance traveled since the last DPF regeneration.

1. Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle.
2. Is DTC P2463 set?

◊If DTC P2463 is set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in SI. After following the diagnostic procedure return to this bulletin and PROCEED to Step 3.
◊If DTC P2463 is not set, then proceed to Step 3 and inform the customer as indicated.

3. The importance of the message and responding to it immediately. Clearing the message will only make the message disappear temporarily and not correct the problem.
4. Guide the customer to their Duramax(TM) Diesel Engine Owners Manual Supplement and review the information titled: "Diesel Particulate Filter", in order to familiarize them with the operation of the system.
5. Extended idle time should be avoided while the "Clean Exhaust Filter" message is displayed because the DPF system is not capable of self cleaning at idle.
6. Instruct the customer that the most efficient way to clean the filter is to DRIVE the vehicle at more than 50 km/h (30 mph) for approximately 20-30 minutes, UNTIL the warning message goes OFF.
7. Ignoring the message and continuing to drive with the DPF warning message ON and the exhaust filter not being cleaned as required will eventually result in the following:

1. The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will illuminate at which point the DPF warning message will be displayed and a chime will also sound.
2. Diagnostic Trouble Code DTC P2463 will be set as a result of excessive soot loading in the DPF.
3. The Engine Power Is Reduced message will be displayed. The engine WILL operate in reduced engine power when this occurs.
4. Once this occurs, self cleaning of the DPF is no longer possible and dealer service will be necessary.
5. Possible irreversible damage to the DPF may occur, requiring repair or replacement.
6. Advise the customer that if following the diagnostic procedure for DTC P2463 in SI results in a DPF system malfunction NOT BEING found, the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Service Regeneration SHOULD NOT BE CHARGED TO GM WARRANTY.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about the code P2033
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
That is a symptom of the problem with the dpf and is secondary to it.