Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Chevrolet: I gotta 5.7 lg sgi with casting number 10253880

Customer Question

I gotta 5.7 lg sgi with casting number 10253880 (the last "0" may be a "C")......this engine is brand new(?) never had plugs in it,has dual plane gm intake, cast iron heads (dont have head #'s handy)but can get em if needed.....can anyone tell me what I have here or what info i still need to post.....I'm not a mechanic by no means but i do know how they work....any help will be greatly appreciated
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 2 years ago.
Welcome,

are you getting that number off the top rear of block under the distributor?

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I did, I wrote the date code also along with the 5.7 lg sgi but the paper got wet and I couldnt remember the date.....All of these numbers were in the same vacinity of each other.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry this number 10253880(C) is the engine i.d.
Thanks,

I need you to go and get those numbers again because that set of numbers comes up blank....even with a C, they will all be numbers anyway :-)

Can you get them and post them here for me? You can take your time because your question doesnt close or anything and just come right back to this page and i get am email right away.

Let em know when you get them please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure thing, take me about 30-40 minutes as I have to run to my shop. I'll get the head numbers too and take a few pictures.......get back to you asap.....Thank You
No problem, i will be in and out but will be back after i get that email the site sends me.

Get a real good look at all of them, and also if there are any on the front block pad like in that pic i sent...thanks bud, we will get it figured out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

under dist. 8028, front 10243880 or(6)....im gonna have to finish this tomorrow if its ok. I took a few pictures just having trouble holding my head up....thank you for you patience, Randy

Thanks,

Here is what that number shows.. It was used from 1995-2000, 350 cubic inch,, it could be either 2 or 4 bolt main. Nice engine.

graphic

If you have any further questions or need more help at all please feel free to reply. If not, Please remember we use an honor system and you must click on accept for me to receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Great, it has a plate rivited to it that has "hp488-shipped 2-2011.....I dont know if it means anything but you have been a great help.In your opinion this is a decent engine though....like i say it still has plastic plugs in all of the openings and looks brand new. One more thing, what could I expect to get out of it if I decided to sell it (ballpark)?

Again, Many Thanks,

Randy

Hang on a sec...be right back.
Hi, just missed ya,

The 488HP is there because of the heads that are on it, thats why the HP wasnt rated on that spec sheet i give you. If i remember right the ZZ4 motors have two pink dots about 1 inch diameter on the front end of both heads. It's a nice engine especially if its brand new which it sure sounds like it is. Not sure what they are going for at the moment but i'm sure its worth some good bucks ($5K) and you can google it and find that out.

Thanks for asking!

LJ

Virtual Wrench (L J), Chevy Mechanic
Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Excellent!!! Your knowledge is well worth the 29.00 bucks to say the least.....Next time I have question you're the man I'm coming to.

Have A Great Day,

Randy

My pleasure Randy,

Thank YOU for asking!

LJ