Canadafix, Canadian Class A
Experience:  Have owned/operated an automotive repair shop for the last 19 years working on all makes and models of vehicles

tahoe: grinding noise which sounded..differential......Any ideas

I have a tahoe with a grinding noise which sounded like it was coming from the front while in 4hi. I replaced the differential. No luck....Any ideas??
Welcome to Just Answer.

Most front end noises on these trucks come from the wheel hub bearings themselves.
Often no play is felt in the hub bearing but the bearing can still be bad.

Spin each front wheel by hand, listen and feel for a rumble.
Having a helper can be better for doing this so you can put your hand on the knuckle while it turns to get a better feel. Watch your fingers!

Also check the front drive shaft U joints carefully for binding or corroded bearings. The added pressure inXXXXXcould cause it to make the noise.

CV joints are also a possibility. Here again, with the added pressure being applied to the joints it may cause one with wear to create the noise.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I twisted the drive shaft....Seems smooth......Would the front bearings make alot more noise if in 4wd vs 2wd???? Or should i hear it all the time??

I thought about that as well.....
I was thinking that with the added pressure inXXXXXthat it might. But it would not be usual. Just trying to cover all the possibilities.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've had bearings go bad before and I can usually hear them more when I turn corners.....When I say the noise is coming from the front I use that rather lightly....When I put it in 4wd the noise is loud, but I know how those grinding sounds can travel....Would you suggest replacing the front hubs at 150???
I would only suggest they be replaced if they are verified bad.

Is the front driveshaft spline OK, not worn or loose?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Everything seems snug and no play. I checked the transfer case for metal shavings looks clean....I think I'm gonna have to take it to a shop and have them put it up on a lift and pin point it $$$$$.