Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Experience:  Most of our fleet is chevy.
17254274

I have the trouble code PO523 showing up for my 2007 Chevy

I have the trouble code PO523 showing up for my 2007 Chevy Avalanche. My engine oil pressure gauge is showing 0 and the engine light is on but the car is running fine. Not sure what the problem is?? Any insight would be great. Thanks!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 2 years ago.

Jettadan1 :

Welcome to Just Answer. We are working on a fast accurate answer Based on the info you have provided. Your time and my time are both Very important.

Jettadan1 :

Hi I am Daniel

Customer:

hi Dan

Jettadan1 :

You may have a bad connection to oil pressure sensor. or the sensor may be bad

Jettadan1 :

Im bring some info for you now

Jettadan1 :

bringing

Customer:

So, ok to drive the car. Just need to get the sensor fixed and it is not that there is no oil pressure in the engine? Engine runs fine and I use excellent products (royal purple oil and filter, etc...)...my concern was the engine freezing up but I it doesn't seem like that is a concern.

Customer:

is this an expensive part?

Jettadan1 :

CIRCUIT/SYSTEM DESCRIPTION

The ECM detects that the EOP sensor signal circuit is greater than 4.4 volts .

The above condition is present for greater than 10 seconds .

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

The ECM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostics test fails. The ECM displays this information in the Failure Records on the scan tool.

The IPC illuminates the EOP indicator.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE DTC

The DTC becomes history when the conditions for setting the DTC are no longer present.

The history DTC clears after 40 malfunction-free warm-up cycles.

The ECM receives a clear code command from the scan tool.

CIRCUIT/SYSTEM TESTING

Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the EOP sensor.

Ignition OFF, test for less than 1 ohm of resistance between the low reference circuit and ground.

If greater than 1 ohm , test the low reference circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Ignition ON, test for 4.8-5.2 volts between the 5-Volt reference circuit and ground.

If less than 4.8 volts , test the 5-Volt reference circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit test normal, replace the ECM.

If greater than 5.2 volts , test the 5-Volt reference circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Install a 3-amp fused jumper wire between the signal circuit and the low reference circuit. Verify the scan tool Engine Oil Pressure Sensor parameter is less than 8 kPa (1.2 psi) .

If greater than 8 kPa (1.2 psi) , test the signal circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

If all circuits test normal, test or replace the EOP sensor.

REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS

Engine Oil Pressure Sensor and/or Switch Replacement for the 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L and 6.2L engines

control module References for ECM replacement, setup and programming.

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.

The engine oil pressure (EOP) sensor changes voltage based on the engine oil pressure. The EOP sensor is a 3-wire sensor comprising of the signal circuit, the low reference circuit and the 5-Volt reference circuit. The engine control module (ECM) supplies 5 volts to the EOP sensor via the 5-Volt reference circuit and provides ground via the EOP low reference circuit. The ECM monitors the signal circuit of the EOP sensor to determine the EOP sensor voltage is within the normal operating range of approximately 1-4 volts . When the engine oil pressure is high, the EOP sensor voltage is high and the ECM senses a high signal voltage. When the engine oil pressure is low, the EOP sensor voltage is low and the ECM senses a low signal voltage. The ECM sends the EOP information to the instrument panel cluster (IPC) via GMLAN serial data message.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
The engine is running.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

Jettadan1 :

You do want to do a manual test on oil pressure. you can barrow that tool from auto zone.

Jettadan1 :

wiggle connection and make sure its tight and see if the oil pressure starts to work.

Jettadan1 :

if so the connection is bad.

Jettadan1 :

You would have to test continuity on both ends of connection to make sure its good. and visually inspect the connections for bent pions or pushed out pins or corrosion

Customer:

I am confused. Is this connection something I can check myself or do I need to take it to a dealer? If I can check it myself,where is it located?

Jettadan1 :

and of course the worse case scenario is a bad ecm

Jettadan1 :

its the oil pressure sensor

Jettadan1 :

You will have to remove the intake manifold. So if you are not comfortable with that then you will need assitance from shop. it doesnt have to be a dealer.

Customer:

SO is it ok for me to drive the car to get this checked out. There does not seem to be any lack of

Jettadan1 :

If its not to far.any noise you hear stop and calla tow truck

Customer:

oil pressure as on a cold start up I have a few seconds of valve tap and then the engine runs very quietly.

Jettadan1 :

how far?

Jettadan1 :

I wouldnt go over 3 miles and make sure fluids are level.

Customer:

it is about 25 miles to my shop. Once I noticed the engine light on the other day while starting the car I spoke with my son, as he had been the last to drive the car, and uncovered that he had driven the car for at least 30 miles since the light first came on.

Jettadan1 :

I just dont want to do any damage. if the oil pressure is gone you can ruin it. so with out knowing oil pressure lets call a hook.

Jettadan1 :

tow truck

Customer:

OK if you think that is the best option. I appreciate your insight. Thanks!

Jettadan1 :

Your very welcome

Customer:

do I just need to hit the accept button to be charges the $29?

Jettadan1 :

yes click on the Accept button. That will be fine.

Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Experience: Most of our fleet is chevy.