GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Equinox LS: 2005 Equinox, High pitched squeal at

2005 Equinox, High pitched squeal at 30mph. Frt driveshaft cv,all ujoints in driveshaft and center carrier bearing are replaced. Has not helped. I am at a loss. Any ideas.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does the noise change when turning?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Braking?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Different gear?

Customer:

Noise does not change when turning or braking. Different gear does not make any difference. Noise is not present with vehicle on lift even at 30mph on speedometer. We have replaced all items on driveshaft. Noise starts at 25-27 mph and continues until about 37 mph then is gone. Squeal is rotational meaning it is on something that is turning. We have checked all wheels, brakes,etc. for contact spots and find none.

GM Tech (Cam) :

If you checked all that then it stands to reason that the noise is coming from inside the transmission itself.

Customer:

I would concur except that it sounds external, meaning that it sounds comparible to the noise you hear when the warning tab is hitting the brake rotor when the pads are worn out. Very high pitched and not all that loud. Must have window down or door open to hear clearly. I was a GM certified tech for about 15 years but that was20 years ago. This has me going nuts. Sounds like coming from center or rear of car. Not there all the time.

GM Tech (Cam) :

awd?

Customer:

Yes. Sorry, should have told you that before

GM Tech (Cam) :

rear CV's good?

Customer:

Yes, all check out fine. When driveshaft is out, turning real wheels by hand rear end is absolutely quiet and smooth and cv's are tight.

GM Tech (Cam) :

no chance it is a seal making noise?

GM Tech (Cam) :

can you apply some oil external to the seals and see if the noise stops?

Customer:

Possible I guess, the hard part is it will not make noise on the lift no matter what you do. Seems to have to have a load on it. Never have had one like this. Glad I'm too old to be a tech now.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Oh I misunderstood

GM Tech (Cam) :

I though it did it on the lift.

GM Tech (Cam) :

so if it does not then it is a wheel bearing I think, the seal inside making noise.

Customer:

Could be I guess. We will try to check that out. Please keep this in mind and if you have any other ideas, please e-mail me. Thanks for your help.

GM Tech (Cam) :

I will.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it, and so you know, you can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply. Please don't forget to click accept at some time as that is my only means of compensation for assisting you.

Customer:

Thanks for your help. I will let you know.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok