GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

2005 malibu: Stalled in traffic,would crank but not fire...garage

2005 malibu 2.2 ecotech. Stalled in traffic,would crank but not fire. got it towed to a garage they said fuel pump,$1200 installed.Got it towed home. Car sat for a few hours went to push it into my garage with my son, car started right up, idles good. No trouble codes. Now when you give it throttle in park wont rev above 4000 rpm cuts out and drops to 3500 rpm. Revs normally below 3500. the more throttle it gets the quicker it surges but never above 4000. Fuel pressure reads 55 psi at all tmes. I'm stumped.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
There is a rev limiter in park so what you describe when you rev it, 3500-4000 is the expected reaction in park.

Now with the stalling and start after, the most common issue is the pump. They can fail with it gets warm from use and fail to provide the needed pressure which causes the stalling.

The fact it starts after being towed home suggests that either the pump needed to cool down or more likely there is a dead spot on it and the movement from towing jogged it enough to let it run again. Many of the tow ins I deal with I can kick the bottom of the tank and the start the engine.

So if you want to be sure, first replace the fuel filter. Then if it will not start again, kick the tank and see if it starts. If so then I am sure you will need the fuel pump.