Chevy expert
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience ase cetified tech shop owner
22989858

94 chevy: radiator, thermostat, temp sensor..water pump..hoses..gauge

Customer Question

Replaced heater core, radiator, thermostat, temp sensor, water pump but engiine running hot and heater is blowing cold...on a 94 chevy k1500.
Nothing else has been done to vehicle. both heater hoses are now replaced but still they are cold...truck is still running hot according to the gauge but heater is still blowing cold. Is there a method for bleeding the coolant system or do you think something else is wrong.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
radiator, thermostat, coolant sensor, heater core, heater hoses and water pump have been replaced but is still running hot and heater is running cold...help please.
Expert:  Chevy expert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.And remove one of the heater hoses and let me know if you have a good strong flow of coolant going through the hose , it appears it either we have a defective water pump or there may be air trapped in the system
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no flow felt air coming out...water pump is new.
If you remove one of the heater hoses with the engine running and there's no coolant flow there should be very strong coolant flow this is a sign of either having a faulty water pump or air that's trapped in the cooling system Is it possible you have the serpentine bill routed wrong way and the water pump is spinning the wrong direction or is it possible that maybe you installed the wrong water pump and it is rotating the wrong way
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
check belt and it is ok...acts like air in system because gauge shows hot but top hose will be cold...i just don't know how to get air out...
Remove the upper radiator hose and slowly force feed any freeze into the engine you can also try removing one of the heater hoses and slowly pour in any freeze into the heater hose until you perched all the air out of the system
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok...i will try and let you know
Very good let me know what you find and we will continue testing from their if we need to thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
did not work...one heater hose was warm but blowing cold air...upper radiator hose warm but gauge at the max temperature...just so you know the radiator is after market and slight difference then the old one...it has the oil and trans mission cooler but the old one just had one cooler tank...truck does have a manual transmission.
is there a good strong flow of coolant through the heater hose ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
let me check
Okay let me know what you find thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
good flow from engine to heater core.
Using an infrared temperature go on tell me what the temperature of the thermostat housing if it sounds like you got good flow mail but it's running too cold
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
don't have a infrared thermometer.
Are the heater hoses hot enough that you cannot hang onto them , if you can hang onto the heater hose it's not getting warm enough that should be approximately 190°
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No i can hang onto them...i replaced the thermostat and checked that it was the same as the old one...195 degrees.
If it possible that you have a thermostat installed backwards ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No...i have it installed correctly...spring on the bottom.
Good if we've got good coolant flow And but not enough temperature We need to make sure that the thermostat is not opening prematurely and also make sure that the cooling fan clutch is not Seized up causing too much airflow across The radiator ,I know this is gonna sound crazy but I would like you to try another thermostat preferably another Brand as I have had two or three defective thermostats at one time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok...but if it is opening prematurely would that cause it to run hot.
From your description it does not sound like the engine is actually running hot that's why we need to get an accurate temperature of the thermostat housing . If the heater hoses are staying as cold as you say they are and there's a good coolant flow that means what ever temperature is in the engine should be coming to the hoses if that were overheating there's no way you be able to touch the hose
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok...got to run get a thermostat.
Okay thank you like I said I know sounds are easy but it's the only thing that makes any sense. While you're at the parts store you may want to pick up eight cheaper infrared temperature go on there are some very inexpensive ones out there so you can get an accurate temperature reading

Just checking to see how you're making out

Please press accept

Bookmark this link in reply back to me right here I'll be with you as long as it takes to solve your problem follow ups are always free thank you