jacksparrow1956
jacksparrow1956,
25721800

Rochester Quadrajet: What is the proper float level adjustment

Customer Question

What is the proper float level adjustment for a quadrajet 4 barrel carburetor? The one I am working on is new. It is on a boat with a 350 Chevy engine. the problem is that when I shut the engine off fuel starts to leak from the bottom, at the wedge base plate. It does not leak while running.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

hi

the way i set the float on these is to set it where it is straight across,level] with the carb...most times this problem isnt the float,it is the needle valve seat,it may have some debies in it[it dont take much]..this is sometimes caused by a rubber fuel line being slid onto a mtal line,it will whittle some of the rubber from inside the hose then go right to the needle valve seat,,,so,clean out the seat,the filter chamber and the float bowl,,,it is a good idea to have an external filter in the line right before the carb,,again,,if using a slip on line with clamps,be sure to oil the inside the line with wd40 and slide it on easy making sure not to scrape the inside of the line..

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Expert:  jacksparrow1956 replied 2 years ago.

Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you.

Do not use fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor. This is a Coast Guard violation the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor must be a steel or stainless fuel line. Rubber hoses will deteriorate and burst under pressure spraying the raw fuel into the bilge and engine compartment. This is an explosion and fire hazard.The float adjustment is with the inlet needle closed the float is parallel with the carb body. The carb leaking at the base is flooding and the float is not closing the inlet needle. Here is the procedure the float level is 15/64.

Post back with questions.