Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Chevy impala: the remote start completely out and still did not start

I have a chevy impala 2002 and was installing a remote start. Tried to start the car and car did not start. Took the remote start completely out and still did not start. Replaced the iginition and still did not start. I have read that low voltage could be the issue. Any ideas?
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

Is the Security light ON or flashing when attempting to start the car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no its not on.
I replaced the switch/commutateur interruptor pt#: OEM 22670487.

1. Hood open, battery charged full
2. Entered the car, placed key in
3. Turned key over, accessories come on but no starter engagement

Dash displays just the battery indicator light when you first try to start, if you turn the key to start, no lights flashing just standard dash.
Thanks for the additional information.

In the fuse panel on the drivers side of the dash, check the ABS/PCM fuse and the PCM (CRANK) fuse. If these fuses are good, have someone else turn the key to start while you place your hand on the Crank relay in the underhood fuse panel. The relay should click each time the key is turned to start. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Checked fuses - all ok, had someone turn the car over while I placed my hand on the crank relay, felt it engage. Still no start.

Would or could I use a OBD II code reader to help establish any codes? Or will this not even provide such.
There will be no codes in the system for this. If the relay does click, try swapping the relay with one of the others in the panel. If this does not fix the problem, check the fusible links coming off the underhood fuse panel.

If fusible links are okay then the problem is in the starter itself.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I went and replaced the relay with another of the same (swapped around), did not work. Checked the fuseable links, look tight.

Question would be could the BCM module be the issue or the voltage to the BCM be the issue. I truly do not believe its the starter as it worked prior to trying to install the remote start.

Also I have been reading online that the bypass module is a known issue with the Chevys. Is there a way to bypass this to just test if it starts? If that is the case then I would have narrowed it down some. Are there other measuring tools that I could use to check the voltage to the BCM if this could be the issue.

I am at a loss and would have to have someone come tow it and still not know the issue.
Not the BCM. The BCM and the security system do not disable the starter. They disable the fuel system. The starter should still engage. If the relay clicks, this means the igntion switch is working, the neutral safety switch is working and the PCM is turning on the Crank relay. The problem is then either a fusible link, bad starter, or bad wire from the relay to the starter. If you have a test light or voltmeter, remove the relay and look at the bottom of the relay to identify terminals 30 and 87. Test the corresponding terminals in the fuse panel and one of these should have power. If you find power then the fusible link is good. Connect a jumper wire across from terminal 30 to 87 and see if the starter engages. If it does not then you have a bad starter.

You could also test for power on the small wire (purple) at the starter while someone else turns the key to start. If you get power to that wire, the starter is bad.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, I have tested the terminals 30 and 87 with the wire, starter did not engage. Also took a multi meeter and connected a clip on the pos of the multimeter to the purple wire on the starter and the black to the neg of the battery. When turning the key I show 12v to the starter. So based on your description above, if I get 12v to the starter when I turn the key, this tells me the starter is bad. Correct?

With my findings can you tell me is the starter on this car hard to replace, I see the oem cost for the starter is about $425.50, Replacement time 1 hr.... according to the web. So would you say that I should be able to repalce myself?

Thanks for all your assistance.
Getting 12 volts to the starter does indicate that the starter is bad and will need to be replaced. The starter is fairly easy to replace and you should be able to do this job yourself. Disconnect the battery before servicing the starter, there are two wires to disconnect then two bolts holding the starter to the engine.