Neal
Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

2005 Silverado 1500: the rear seal area..drive shaft..noticeable

I have a 2005 Silverado 1500, 2 WD Auto Transmission. There is a high pitch squeal coming from around the rear seal area of the transmission. If you turn the drive shaft one direction it is quite noticeable, not so much if you turn it the opposite direction. Truck shifts fine, no other complaints. Seems to go away as it warms up. I just changed trans fluid & filter, seemed fine. Checked differential and rear brakes, everything was fine. U-joints seem ok. Could that rear seal just be getting hard from age and causing the noise?

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

The seal should not cause that type of noise. More likely it is the bushing in the tailhousing. I would pull the driveshaft and check the yoke for damage, if it looks normal you can try changing the seal. If the yoke is scored the bushing would need the be replaced.