Doug
Doug, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. 32 years experice
30501653

2008 Chevy Colorado Pickup 2.9l 4 cyl . Engine started whining

Customer Question

2008 Chevy Colorado Pickup 2.9l 4 cyl . Engine started whining like a power steering pump. but noise is constant. Replaced water pump last month. So its not the water pump bearing.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Doug replied 5 years ago.

Doug :

Thank you for choosing justanswer.com,I look forward to helping you,Doug

JACUSTOMER-nbnukir4- :

Hi Doug,

Doug :

Hi can you tell me is noise worse with trans in gear

JACUSTOMER-nbnukir4- :

No apparent difference in noise whether in gear driving or idling in neutral at a red light.

Doug :

OK noises can transfer can you pull fanbelt a

Doug :

a

Doug :

and see if if noise goes away please dint run very long

JACUSTOMER-nbnukir4- :

Sorry didn't quite get your question. My truck is in parking garage near building. So I'm not able to pulla fanbelt right now.

Doug :

Sorry for errors my PC giving me fits, can you pull belt tomorrow and let me know, Doug

JACUSTOMER-nbnukir4- :

How exactly do I "pull" the fan belt. Do you mean push down on the belt to increase tension?

Doug :

Yes if you move tensioner it will release pressure to remove belt

JACUSTOMER-nbnukir4- :

Uhm, ok. so tensioner must be an arm and pulley that moves in/out to release pressure. can I move tensioner while the belt is running?

Doug :

No engine off only , don't want you to get hurt, would you like me to send you a picture of what it looks like.

JACUSTOMER-nbnukir4- :

ok, a picture would be good. I could not find a diagram/picture of the engine to see what is in that black housing on top and right of the engine.

Doug :

give me a few

JACUSTOMER-nbnukir4- :

ok no rush. will stay on awhile you look for diagram. How do I contact you tomorrow. Is there a case number or something?

JACUSTOMER-nbnukir4- :

ok , I see the tensioner arm and pulley. thanks

JACUSTOMER-nbnukir4- :

Oh yes, front view of pulleys and fan belt. New water pump and main bearing must be in the center.

Doug :

yes please send me a note on this Page on what you find out and we will go from there

JACUSTOMER-nbnukir4- :

Ok, thanks. Should I leave this web page open tonight. or "save & exit" How Do I send the note to you?

Doug :

Just save then return to your justanswer questions

JACUSTOMER-nbnukir4- :

Thanks. bye

Doug :

Welcome