Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2004 Chevy Malibu: repair questions..CD player radio..Electronics

Who is qualified to answer repair questions about my 2004 Chevy Malibu new style CD player radio, GM Part # XXXXX Delphi Delco Electronics?

The problem: CD payer will not eject the CD
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

The CD player failing to eject is normally due to an internal logic lock up within the radio. Since removing the power from the unit by disconnecting the battery did not work, you have a couple of options left. You can try to have the dealer update the software within the radio by reprogramming through their programming interface. This may allow the CD player to function correctly. The dealer typically charges $60-100 for this programming. Beyond this, the radio would have to come out of the car for repairs. If you were to install a replacement GM radio in the car, it too would have to be programmed to the vehicle (by the dealer) to unlock the built in security.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just called my Chevy dealer re your suggestion about reprogramming software. I was told I'd be wasting my money because its a mechanical issue, not software one.

And purchasing a new unit would be about $500.00 dollars, including whaatever it takes to make it function. To me that's financially out of the question.

I was also told that there is no guarentee that a used unit could be made to work, in which case I'd be out the cost of the unit plus the $80.00 fee to re-program ( or whatever needs to be done) to attempt to make the used unit function in my car.

(Ask me if I'm happy with GM about that!!!!????)

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
I know you cannot be happy with the results of the CD player failing. Most salvage yards will sell you a used radio for around $50, then you will have to get the dealer to program the radio to the car. Assuming you get a good unit from the salvage yard, you will be into the repair for around $130 including the dealer programming. Check with other GM dealers in your area, some may charge less. It literally takes about 5 minutes to program the VIN into the new radio to unlock it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Again, there is no guarantee a used one could be programmed; I was told this by the (one and only) local Chevfy dealer. so, a new or used unit is out of the question.

Do you have step-by-step instructions for removing my unit, mechanical repair, and re-instalation?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
You must remove the plastic panel below the steering column and remove the glove box, then the center dash trim can be removed.

Then remove a/c control panel and remove radio screws and remove radio.

We never serviced radios at the Dealer level. All dealers send the radios off to electronics repair shops for the actual repair of the radio.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its after dark right now. Won't be able to work on it till tomorrow or Sunday; then I'll see if yur instructions are helpful.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the update. Let me know later how things turn out. If you need more info, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It looks like there are two screws holding "the plastic panel below the steering column", and two screws holding "the glove box" - correct? I will not be removing the unit 'till warmer weather.

One (final?) question: where can a purchase a complete shop manual for my 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx?

Thank you.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
The glove box has two screws across the bottom and 3 screws across the top. Pull off panel at end of dash to check for any additional screws.

graphic

The panel below the column is held in place with two screws at the bottom, two screws at the side (pull off panel at end of dash). The panel is clipped in across the top, pull straight back to release clips after screws have been removed.

graphic

You can often find complete service manuals cheap on ebay. If you want acess via the web, check out alldatadiy.com
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
.Please don't forget to click the Accept button. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dave

Thank you for your help. I wanted info for future reference; this Spring will see me acting on it.

Arnold Barrett

(I see below 2 buttons - l guess I hit "reply" first)

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
.

Best to hit reply first, then Accept on one of my answers. Thanks so much.

Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification