Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Chevrolet Traverse LT: How do you change the spark plugs on

How do you change the spark plugs on a 2009 chevy traverse?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

hi

the plugs are under the coils..this may help you

thanks

2009 Chevy Truck Traverse AWD V6-3.6L
Spark Plug Service and Repair, Removal and Replacement

Spark Plug Replacement

Removal Procedure

98_gc09routlA-902884.png

1. Remove the ignition coil(s).

Caution: Clean the spark plug recess area before removing the spark plug. Failure to do so could result in engine damage because of dirt or foreign material entering the cylinder head, or by the contamination of the cylinder head threads. The contaminated threads may prevent the proper seating of the new plug. Use a thread chaser to clean the threads of any contamination.

2. Use compressed air in order to remove debris from the spark plug cavity.

Caution: Allow the engine to cool before removing the spark plugs. Attempting to remove the spark plugs from a hot engine may cause the plug threads to seize, causing damage to cylinder head threads.

3. Remove the spark plug.

Installation Procedure

98_gc09routlA-902884.png

Caution: Use only the spark plugs specified for use in the vehicle. Do not install spark plugs that are either hotter or colder than those specified for the vehicle. Installing spark plugs of another type can severely damage the engine.

Caution: Check the gap of all new and reconditioned spark plugs before installation. The pre-set gaps may have changed during handling. Use a round feeler gage to ensure an accurate check. Installing the spark plugs with the wrong gap can cause poor engine performance and may even damage the engine.

1. Ensure that the spark plug gap is equivalent to the spark plug gap specification.

Caution: Be sure that the spark plug threads smoothly into the cylinder head and the spark plug is fully seated. Use a thread chaser, if necessary, to clean threads in the cylinder head. Cross-threading or failing to fully seat the spark plug can cause overheating of the plug, exhaust blow-by, or thread damage.

2. Install the spark plug.

Tighten the spark plug to 20 Nm (15 lb ft).

3. Install the ignition coil(s).

2009 Chevy Truck Traverse AWD V6-3.6L
Ignition Coil Service and Repair, Removal and Replacement: Ignition Coil(s) Replacement - Bank 1

Ignition Coil Replacement - Bank 1

Removal Procedure

69_gc09routlA-1860397.png

1. Disconnect the engine wiring harness electrical connector(s) (1) from the ignition coil(s) (4).
2. Remove the fuel injection sight shield.

34_gc09routlA-860797.png

3. Remove the ignition coil bolt(s).
4. Remove the ignition coil(s).

Installation Procedure

34_gc09routlA-860797.png

1. Install the ignition coil(s).

2. Install the ignition coil bolt(s).

Tighten the bolt(s) to 10 Nm (89 lb in).

69_gc09routlA-1860397.png

3. Connect the engine wiring harness electrical connector(s) (1) to the ignition coil(s) (4).
4. Install the fuel injection sight shield.
2009 Chevy Truck Traverse AWD V6-3.6L
Ignition Coil Service and Repair, Removal and Replacement: Ignition Coil(s) Replacement - Bank 2

Ignition Coil Replacement - Bank 2

Removal Procedure

25_gc09routlA-1858010.png

1. Remove the intake manifold.

2. Disconnect the engine wiring harness electrical connector(s) (5) from the ignition coil(s) (4).

66_gc09routlA-868186.png

3. Remove the ignition coil bolt(s).
4. Remove the ignition coil(s).

Installation Procedure

34_gc09routlA-860797.png

1. Install the ignition coil(s).

2. Install the ignition coil bolt(s).

25_gc09routlA-1858010.png

3. Connect the engine wiring harness electrical connector(s) (5) to the ignition coil(s) (4).
4. Install the intake manifold.
Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you send the images to me that you included? They will not open. Send them to XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

sorry

they do this sometimes.....

you need to save them to your computer by right clicking the image,,then go down to save picture as....to save them to your computer,,this way you can open them with your picture progra and make them as big as you want

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How long does it take and do you have to undo a motor mount to get to the back ones. Also are the inigition coils on the side or top?

ok

it takes about 2 1/2 hrs

they are on top of the valve covers[it isnt too bad]..the engine mount does not need to be removed

thanks

2009 Chevy Truck Traverse AWD V6-3.6L
Spark Plug Parts and Labor
Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard
Replace C 0.0 2.8

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What picture shows the iginition coil? Sorry to keep asking so many questions. None of the pictures look like the engine. Usually I don't have a problem working on vehicles, but the newer they are, the harder of a time i have.

yes,,,,nothing is real easy on these newer ones....simple things are hard

the 3rd picture down shows the coils,,,i tried to upload them again,,,but,,something sems to be wrong with the site

thanks

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When looking at the engine, i don't see these.

they are under the sheild..plastic cover

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When removing the manifold, is it on the rear or front to get to the plugs?

the plugs are on the front and rear of the engine,,3 on each bank..it has 6

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, I didn't ask the question correctly. When you have to remove the manifold to get to the plugs, is it for the back 3 plugs or the front 3? Sorry for the confusion.

all needs to be done,is remov e the engine cover[shown below..then the coils then the plugs,,the plugs are right under the coils,,the manifold dont need to be removed

thanks

009 Chevy Truck Traverse AWD V6-3.6L
Fuel Injector Service and Repair, Removal and Replacement: Fuel Injector Sight Shield Replacement

Fuel Injector Sight Shield Replacement

14_gc09routlB-1857736.png

42_gc09routl_tb2-1857759_001.png
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.