carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified , 16 yrs in field

Chevy Impala: where is the camshaft position sensor located

where is the camshaft position sensor located on a 3.4L Chevy Impala

Good evening.

If your looking at the engine, look right at the power steering pump at the top. Now, look under the pump right in the top of the timing cover. You will see the cam sensor. The wiring comes up towards the front and connects right in on the front side of the engine. I have included a picture of the connector. Just follow the wiring down to the sensor..

Thanks, Josh.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is this a common problem on these engines it only has 80,000 miles .. OB II handheld gave the code PO341 which shows camshaft position sensor bad ... I was told that if EGR valve sticks it could also show the same code is this something you're aware of

If you had a problem in the EGR system you would have a list of other codes. In order to know for sure that the sensor if the sensor is indeed bad you would have to look at the data from the sensor through a graphing scanner.

Without a scanner of this type, simply replaceing the sensor is indeed the place to start..

Thanks, Josh