Pete, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

04 Silverado SS. guage cluster going crazy..intermittent

Customer Question

04 Silverado SS. guage cluster going crazy. keeps resetting(zeroing guages) intermittent issue. occurs more often when engine is cool. can trigger issue by putting windows up, only sometimes. leads me to believe voltage issue.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

These instrument clusters in this vehicle were common to fail internally electronically.Most of the time it is usually one or more gages reading incorrectly or sticking that fail but this fault here can be the result of the cluster failing as well.

The voltage or ground circuit internally in the cluster may be failing and causing these to reset as if the key was just powered on.

To be sure it is the cluster it would have to be removed and the voltage and grounds checked at it to see if any of them drop out when it acts up.If no voltage drops out then the cluster itself is at fault.

If you do lose voltage then this can sometimes be caused by an internal fault in the electronic ignition switch.

Make sure your battery connections are clean and tight as this can cause this reset as well.

GM had extended the warranty on these clusters for a certain mileage and time frame.You may want to check with a dealer to see if yours is covered under this warranty still.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for the reply. to fill you a bit more.....

i bought the truck 4 months ago...they had to replace the fuse box

i installed a neo gateway(ipod interface), but i removed the gateway and additional harness.

issue started after i powerwashed, coincidence?????

also, service brake booster, and reduced engine ????, message came on...but no codes

Issue may be diffucult to troubleshoot since its intermittent. Do you have a pinout for the cluster? Or know the color of wires to test?

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
This may be related to the fuse box being replaced and if there is a loose or corroded connection then when it was power washed.

The wires that you need to test are:

The black and the black wire with a white stripe at the cluster connectors need tested for ground.These two wires will be the only ones this color and should have ground at all times.

You will have two pink wires,the only pink wires in the wiring connections at the cluster,these two wires should have power with the key on or engine running.

You will have two orange wires,the only orange wires,these should have power at all times key on or off.

If any of these signals are missing then I would check over the fuse box and the battery connections.

If none of these are missing then the cluster itself may be at fault.

As for the messages you have received these could come on if there is a fault with the battery connections or the fuse block or an internal fault in the cluster as well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can i ask more questions once i pay????

i will test all wires.

also, checking Cruise Ign 0,1,2 for 12v

if everthing checks out i will check cluster internals.

lastly, is it ok to drive without instrument cluster or radio?

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Yes,you can drive it this way if needed if it isn't a power loss issue if it is a fault in the cluster/radio themselves.

You can come back at any time before and after the accept if needed,just book mark this page and come back that way or come back through your emails sent to you from this post.

Thanks Pete!
Pete, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 14 years GM dealer Technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is only 1 pink ....12v key on

1 orange 12v - key off

1 orange - nothing

black,black/white no contunity between the 2 but serve as gnd for testing pink/orange

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
I apologize for the delay.

O.k.,your model only has one pink ignition wire.

Is the cluster acting up when there is no voltage on one of the orange wires?

Your grounds sound good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will have to find a different point to test the org wires.......i didnt have the IPC plugged in. It is gonna be hard to test since its intermitent issue. I may pull IPC from a 04 tahoe and test that way. When I park, the cluster acts normally. So I will have to put into drive, with the cluster plugged in, and wait for it to mess up. Somehow during all of this test the org wire.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i think i may go this route.

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/4tm25-chevrolet-silverado-2500-hd-dash-cluster-03-silverado.html

solder, black, black/wht together. jump to gnd (probably in A pillar)

solder orange together

pink should be ok

Just wonder where I can get 12+ from? a non-switched source.

Ill will put an inline 10 amp fuse on orange.

I will do all of this only after confiming that its fixed.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Can you read and tell me what terminals the orange wires and black and black and white wires are located in.You can look at the back of the connectors to see the terminal numbers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i had some troulbe with my account. ill go check out the numbers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

black A12

blk/wht B12

orange B11

pink B9

orange B4 - no 12v

it looks like there may be another black wire in harness

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
O.k.

The orange in B4 is a signal wire and no power needs applied to this wire.I apologize for the confusion.

The rest if these wires match up with what I have and it sounds like you have the signals needed.Make sure you test these when the vehicle is acting up to make sure you are getting the correct readings when it acts up.

If you do get these normal readings then the fault is in the cluster and it needs replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks, ill update u when i get it working.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I may have it fixed.....only time will tell. Do you have a pinout for the cluster harness? I have some burnt out bulbs, and I'm gonna replace with LEDs. I would like to bench test the dashlights.

Thanks Shawn

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
I apologize for the delay,site was down today for awhile.

I dont have any pin outs available to post on this here but if you want I can see if I can tell you what wire in what pin is for.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got the cluster fixed. It turns out a MOSFET went bad on the board.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Thats great to hear the problem has been resolved.

Let me know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete!