Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Broad question,but 4-wheel drive wont work...ive..checked fuses

broad question,but 4-wheel drive wont work.ive checked fuses.probably the lil actuater.whats involved.havent even looked into it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

hi

is the a push button or a floor shift 4wd transfer case?

what happens when you try to go to 4wd?

tell me all you can

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nothing happens.its a floor shift and the lights dont come on in the floor to show what gear you are in.a very small leak around the area of the actuator.

ok

do you have the original gas[thermal]actuator on the front axle?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i assume i do.ive never had a problem with it up until now and i know the person i bought it from and he said he never had a problem with the 4x4.

ok

there is a upgrade electric actuator to replace the stock thermal unit available....it is quicker and more dependable than the stock unit...........yes,i think your problem here is the axle actuator

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP........

sorry i dont have the pictures of the upgrade,,but the part # XXXXX XXXXX

1997 Chevy Truck K 1500 Truck 4WD V6-4.3L VIN W
Transfer Case Actuator Locations, Components: Front Axle Actuator
28_gc97cktrk_8a201-019a.png Transfer Case Relay
icon_prd_right_blank.gifTransfer Case
icon_prd_right_blank.gifTSB Title: 76-43-01A 09/01/1998 Drivetrain - Slow Or No Engagement of Front Axle

View & Print Options

File In Section: 4 Drive Axle

Bulletin No.: 76-43-01A

Date: September, 1998

Subject:
Slow or no Engagement of Front Axle when 4WD is selected (Replace Front Axle Actuator

Models:
1988-97 Chevrolet and GMC K Models
excluding 1988-93 Models over 8500 # XXXXX

This bulletin is being revised to add information to the Service Procedure, add a new part number, and include schematics. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 76-43-01 (SectionXXXXXAxle).

Condition

Some owners may comment that the colder the outside temperature is, the longer it takes for the front axle to engage whenXXXXXis selected, or the front axle does not engage.

Cause

The front axle engagement actuator is a thermally activated component. Because of this characteristic, the time required for the actuator to completeXXXXXengagement is extended as the temperature drops.

Correction

Replace the front axle actuator and include the applicable wiring harness kit. Refer to the Parts Information in order to determine which wiring harness kit is needed.

1996 model trucks with a build date on or after January 2, 1996 are considered as "961". If the build date of the truck is unknown, verify the 3 character "axle code" on the front axle label in order to determine which wire harness to order.

This new actuator uses a motor to engage the front axle and is not affected by temperature. On 1988-93 models with a GVW rating over 8500$, the new actuator cannot be installed and the thermal actuator will remain the service part.

View & Print Options79_76-43-01A980901-002a.png

Parts Information

P/N Description Qty

26060073 Actuator Asm, Frt Drive Axle 1
22510339 Fastener 1
15313272 Harness, Jumper (Z Splice) 1
(86-93 K1-3)

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

View & Print Options80_76-43-01A980901-002b.png

Warranty Information

Some owners with actuators that are operating as designed (5-30 seconds engagement time) may choose to upgrade to the fast actuator at their own expense. The fast actuator is a new product enhancement and should not be used to replace actuators that are operating as designed.

sorry i dont have the pictures of the up grade,,but the part # XXXXX XXXXX

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

should i try the upgrake or just replace the original actuator?i think i have an original replacement.also,im gonna accept your answer as i did the last and you have been a help,kinda.the fuelpump deal yu never answered if there was other options,meaning you have never heard of a situation i explained.thats all i was looking for.you and i are are still probably right,i was just looking for anouther option.

nothing to do with you,you have been great.i just looked at my bank and ive got 4 charges for$29.ide be better off dropping it off and tell on to fix it..again,nothing to do with you,just confused about the $29.im gonna accept the answers that have been the obvious,but im gonna look into the charges in the morning.

again,nothing to do with you.ive had a few friends to go through this same thing befor,sorry

hi

it would be best to use the new style upgrade....it cost a little more,,but they cause less trouble............

but,,sense you already have the stock replacement,,use it...............

i dont know how you are charged,you will need to talk to customer service here/........

as far as the other problem............i have seen this allot..if the fuelpressure is fine,,,let me know,,then we will check other things

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.