jonb9173
jonb9173, GM certified
Experience:  20+ years exp
32877453

2002 Chevy impala: new battery..new alternator..14.5 volts..jump car

Customer Question

2002 Chevy impala alternator keeps dieing. replaced the battery and the alternator when this was done the new battery read good the new alternator read good around 14.5 volts every thing ran OK.then today it start acting like it did before i replaced the battery and alternator, car start to shut off while im driving. pull over car shuts off i check the battery reads about 11.79v friend give me a jump car in a few car starts. check battery 12.6v this is with nothing on in the car no lights,radio nothing battery reads 12.6v disconnect the positive cable ton the battery to check alternator with car running like 9v so the alternator is not charging the battery. But this was a good alternator when i first installed it voltages where good rad for 4 days no problem. so something is killing the alternator i just don't know what. and i don't want to replace it to have it happen again. So any help out there would be appreciated. Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  jonb9173 replied 2 years ago.

jonb9173 :

hello give me a second to read your description

jonb9173 :

Was the altenator you installed new or remanufactured?

jonb9173 :

Also was the car hard to start with the new altenator as in like a sluggish crank?

Customer:

i want to say the altenator was new but i beleave remanufactured. Picked it up at bennet auto supply. And once i had put the new battery and altenator in it started up no problems as in not sluggish

jonb9173 :

Hello

Customer:

hello jonb9173

jonb9173 :

Have you checked all your connections at the altenator and the battery. If so i would remove the altenator and have it bench tested if all connections are ok.

jonb9173 :

If it is the first altenator that you put on then it is possible that you got a bad one. Now if you said you put 2 or 3 in 4 days then i would say something was killing the altenator.

Customer:

yes checked altenator connections they seem to be ok. do you know what would kill the alternator and prevent it from charging the battery like i mentioned when i put it in the voltage ead perfect and i checked it several times the first day i installed it and around the third day voltage read 14.5 on every check.

jonb9173 :

so what are your voltage readings right now?

Customer:

around 11.87v but if i get a jump i can get the car started and the voltage read about 12.7v and droping. and once i turn the car off its at about 11.87v

Customer:

the alternator is not puttin out a charge

jonb9173 :

And it is the first replacement correct?

Customer:

no i had to replace it back in 09 went through three of them from Napa that didnt work finally got the one from bennet that did but sense then yes its the first one

jonb9173 :

Ok i see why you are worried now don't wanna go through that again:)

jonb9173 :

Have you checked the signal wire at the back of the altenator?

Customer:

yes and it seem to be ok but every thing is checking out ok thats one of the problems

Customer:

i feel like im missing something

jonb9173 :

Well if everything is checking out then it is most likely the altenator. If it was remanufactured then it only ups the odds. Also the altenator is the most common repair that i have done on vehicles like yours.

jonb9173 :

The best thing to do is to have the altenator bench tested.

jonb9173 :

If you had something killing the altenator i doubt that it would have taken since 09 to cause a problem.

jonb9173 :

Your not going to be able to diagnose anything if your altenator is bad. you need to eliminate that possibility. And i know reman is cheaper than new but it is a risk you take when buying reman.

Customer:

i replaced the battery and the altenator and even thought it starts with no problem could the starter be a problem

jonb9173 :

A starter can cause a draw but it would be like overnight draining of the battery. And then you would have a sluggish start.

jonb9173 :

or no start.

jonb9173 :

A starter is not going to draw hard enough to make the charging system run a 11 volts.

Customer:

its not doing that. ok im going to go with a new altenator and see what happens

jonb9173 :

Make sure the one you bring in gets bench tested

Customer:

ok and thanks will let you know how it goes

Customer:

and also i Accept your answer

jonb9173 :

Thanks please keep in contact.

Customer:

hey if i accept your answer know will i be able to let you know how it went

jonb9173, GM certified
Experience: 20+ years exp
Expert:  jonb9173 replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again